Upon retrospection . . .

Tris

. . . while I refuse to pursue the argument re lines and such further, a couple of additional comments were made that made sense to me. One was by Steve:

BTW, resistance is a necessary part of the design process. Otherwise everything remotely rational or logical that is suggested gets confused with the more important things. And as always, there are differing viewpoints on historical reality and how best to simulate it. This is healthy for CM. And I can say for sure that we have reversed our positions even when we have put up initially strong resistance. But only when presented with a strong, logical, and rational case for change. Calling us names does not do much for such a case

I agree this is a good approach to design philosophy, good because it is necessary. But you must realize that the obverse of this coin, as it manifests itself from the consumer end, is to insist on good changes when these are apparently called for. These two forces at work, though opposed in a sense, tend to act in synergetic fashion--at least in theory.

Your second comment, Steve, was made rather less wisely and points to one of the problems at this site: ego. And while it is the case that others point fingers at me and say I am the egotist, nothing could be further from the truth. I just can't see the wisdom (for the reason there is none to see) of telling people what they want to hear . . . unless you are of the selfish persuasion that it is a good idea to go through life with the sole purpose to look out for number one. It is far better (and far more difficult) to tell others what we actually think. This makes for a simpler life in the long run, opens the door to all sorts of good possibilities. That the majority fail to see this is neither surprising nor significant: the majority almost always takes the low road in life, another painful fact.

So be it, and it is foolish to blame me when I point it out.

That is a preamble to this: I have never, not once, on this board directly come for anyone. Period.

I have merely responded in kind. To outright idiocy, I might add, in all too many cases. And don't even get me going on the low-brow, boorish behavior of some elements around here.

The closest example one might cite for an "attack" on my part was when I volunteered the opinion that BTS practices a form of censorship on the board.--and of course BTS does just that. You, Steve, then immediately chose to take this as some demented "personal attack" on you and the company and your collective good reputation.

As I have tried to note, that is on you. Go deal with it.

Not news here that you still are in denial on this issue, even though many of my worst detractors clearly articulated at that time the situation in reality: that in fact BTS does censor the board, but that it has a right to do so.

Well, who ever said BTS does not? My thesis, my plain statement, was that I'm for free speech and I find censorship to always be a bad deal.

That's all.

All this nonsense about "attacking" you is just that. Nonsense. Clearly, you simply don't want to hear certain things, no matter how true they might be, and you are not above throwing a tantrum when you do hear these things.

For my part, I fully expect this. I've seen it many times. It is old hat. Just as predictable is the group-think "Let's get Tris" reaction. This, too, is not new or cleverly presented. This is, afterall, why we call it group think. smile.gif

I'm over the top? I don't think so. In fact, I know not. Occasionally others who are more independently motivated do come out of their lurker statuses to add their quiet opinions, but then they scurry back to cover for the reason, I suppose, that they have no wish to buck this group and all that that implies--which brings us right back to group think, a mentality which possesses not only this forum in a death grip but society as a whole.

I hardly blame these other people who run from this stuff. Now I have a thick skin and so I can endure all the slings and arrows. Also, admittedly, I am perverse enough of nature to enjoy (at some modest level) the "action." smile.gif But my primary aim is to affect good change, always. This is what motivates me.

Is CMBO excellent software? You do yourself a disservice to so phrase it, for the product is nothing short of revolutionary. But it has problems, if you care to know, and when I point these problems out it is not for some mean purpose to hurt you, or for the more selfish purpose to hear my voice raised in public, but rather for the altruistic purpose of making things better--in particular, making something better that I happen to own and play and wish to enjoy to the fullest.

That is why I bother, that is is the only reason I hang around this site.

Anyway, left to my own devices I get in and out of topics. I write well-considered opinion and I buttress this opinion (almost always) with practical examples on both sides of the problem, all in an effort to illustrate my position as well as I am able. If anyone has a better idea I'm all for it. But after I've made my mind up on something then it will take a pretty strong argument and more than a little good logic to turn me around.

If I feel any frustration it finds its roots in the way BTS continues to dig in its heels in on change for no better reason than it doesn't want to admit error. At least that's how it seems to me. No better example is this topic at hand: lines of demarcation in operations.

You say I can't entertain other opinion. Oh yes I can, only it needs to be better considered than mine. Everyone has an opinion as everyone has a southern hole, but that doesn't mean the crowd ever knew what it was talking about. That is one of the problems. Too many think that just because they have the right to spout off any way they please that this makes everything they say of equal value to the next person. It does not. Any man of reasonable intelligence who bothers to listen closely will know the truth of this.

Otherwise, you're just not paying attention.

The issue of "lines" strikes me as such an obvious design flaw and of such flagrant and wholly dubious nature that I admit to felling a bit dumbfounded that to broach this subject might have sparked any debate at all. I can hardly believe I'm the first person to point this problem out to you, the first to complain out loud, the first to ask for these bad devices to be eliminated outright.

Tell me that isn't the case, please. smile.gif

But enough on lines. I have nothing further to add which might be constructive. Leave them in your game if you want, but as sure as there's a nose on your face everyone who plays this game will be the loser for that decision down the road.

I forget now who posted this next bit, but since it was calmly and politely presented I thought I'd touch on it:

One thing that you don't seem to be able to realize is that there is one person working on this game and there are only 24 hours in a day and you're not going to get every little niggle fixed exactly when you want it fixed. Would you relax??? Jeez.

I have helped to develop software for 15 years, for whatever that's worth. For the past eight years I have worked closely with an English gentleman (now displaced to Australia) on a particular joy of mine--call it a pet project. This person left British Aerospace, where he was an engineer, years ago. He discovered one happy day that he could make more money designing sports games then sending people hurtling like rockets through space. And have more fun in the process. Since then he's been up and he's been down, in terms of "success" both financial and personal. I feel I know him. For sure I number him amongst my friends.

And?

And nothing, I guess. Except that I know the best service I can render him is not to say his product is the best thing since sliced bread but to provide upward pressure in the hope that he will rise and not fall back on past laurels. Somehow he survives this "abuse" from me.

Now I don't know. Maybe it's just the case of where one individual can withstand this sort of constant upward pressure--like I said, he's a real bright guy and something of a survivor, and that's hardly the norm. But I do what I do and it works with him so it can't be all bad when you think about it.

So you suppose I don't realize the time constraints on BTS, seeing it's such a tiny team? You either have a small imagination or you are simply not willing to presume I've common sense. Which is it?

You might have figured this out for yourself, since I am not (which the record clearly shows) one of the many people who visit this site with presumptuous requests for changes sundry and dumb. Instead, I limit myself to suggestions for system enhancement which I feel are of a more critical nature, changes which might be more easily affected and which stand to benefit the most for the least cost of time and energy. Apparently some feel that that's still a waste of BTS's time. Well, I am of another frame of mind.

As for the rest of it: what can I say? It is easy to take potshots, to stand in a crowd, hurl stones and make wiseass remarks about this, that and the other. None of that is mature behavior, intelligent behavior. It is mob behavior, it is disgusting.

But that's fine. I've a sense of humor.

"Three shots for a quarter here!" smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Tris (edited 11-27-2000).]

Guest Big Time Software

All this talk about everybody not getting it, and everybody misunderstanding what you are about. I beg to differ. I think everybody but you understands you all too well. And this pretty much sums it up...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Tris:

That is a preamble to this: I have never, not once, on this board directly come for anyone. Period.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And then

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Tris:

I have merely responded in kind. To outright idiocy, I might add, in all too many cases. And don't even get me going on the low-brow, boorish behavior of some elements around here.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope, instead of going after indivduals (I guess I am an exception, eh?) you go after EVERYBODY. Really nice way to go through life.

Tris, you can't have your cake and eat it too. You can not be an open minded fair individual and yet superior to everybody (including the makers of the very game you apparently hold in high regard) at the same time.

I am going to say this only once. If you wish to participate on this BBS, then grow up. Start treating people with respect and a touch of humility (not to mention humanit). I can promise you that others will do the same for you in turn. If you can not do this I will first ask you to please leave us "low-brow, boorish" types to our blissfull ignorance and go off to enlighten others with your vast accumulated wealth of wisdom. But if you continue to demonstrate that you do not wish to participate like a member of a civilized society, then I will show you the door.

That is not a threat, but a promise. Your "participation" here thus far has been far below the simple standards of decency we have set forth. I understand that you don't see it that way, but everybody else does. Alcoholics don't think they have drinking problems even when their entire family says they do, but that doesn't change the basic facts.

Steve

P.S. I have figured out why you are so much against censorship. Just like the fool who shouts "FIRE", you just don't get it...

I read the other thread and this one....I generally consider myself a fairly nice guy though I do make mistakes like alot of people....and I apologize ahead of time for saying this....

Tris, you're boorish and insulting. You use inneuendo and hyperbole to belittle the folks at BTS and other posters. Please choose another discussion board to do your self-therapy on and get those huge chips off your shoulders.

Respect is not a one way street.

-john

Guest Big Time Software

OH... I couldn't resist this one. My bad, I know, but I despise hypocrites more than egotistical maniacs. And when they are one in the same...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Tris wrote:

All this nonsense about "attacking" you is just that. Nonsense. Clearly, you simply don't want to hear certain things, no matter how true they might be, and you are not above throwing a tantrum when you do hear these things.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well. It is my opinion that you have no friends. You do not know love in your heart, and worse have ensured that nobody wants to love you. You could possibly be hideously ugly, which might explain a lot, but I shall withhold such comments because I can't say for sure. You are a very lonely person who year after year has constructed a more and more perfect vision of yourself to shield you from further hurt. Years have passed and your wall of Truth, as you have come to call it, both shields you from realizing your rather sad existence as well as deflecting criticism of your ideas away from your mind. You will likely live out the rest of your life alone and unhappy with yourself and the world around you. The Internet is a sort of release for you, but I doubt it really makes up for what you have let yourself become.

And Tris, this is just my opinion. You should not take offense to it, nor should you see this as a personal attack. I am just pointing out the obvious, whether you want to hear it or not.

And no. I am not being sarcastic. Tris, I truly pity you.

Steve