Same Code regarding known range for pillboxes propossed for dug in Tanks

"Big Time

Software

posted 11-21-2000 06:47 PM

Also, pillboxes will have a better chance of hitting with less shots. These things were ranged in well ahead of time, so they could more easily rule out the largest variable when firing at an enemy target -> range. I would expect to see pillboxes being a little more deadly with 1.1

Steve"

Hi

Is there still time to code in the same range "knowing" advantage or bonus for dug in tanks into v1.1?

A tank which is dug in, is presumed to be a part of a well prepared defensive plan or set-up and should also be granted a similiar accuracy bonus as the anti tank guns in Pillboxes which are now going to have some form of accuracy bonus (not due to better optics smile.gif ) due to Steve's idea (and it is a VERY good idea) that a pillboxe with an anti tank gun in it will have previously established ranges to the areas in its field of view that it intends to target.

Would the same advantge not also be available to a dug in tank on the defense?

( You know the minute v1.1 comes out we are going to run gunnery ragne tests to see just how good the 88 mm anti tank gun is when it is in a pillbox smile.gif, a dug in Tiger 1 should be just as accruate as a pillbox with an 88 mm in it)

Hope there's time to slip that little snippit of code into v1.1

Happy ThanksGiving to all you Americans.

We already had ours in Canada so Thurs and Fri are just regular work days for us.

-tom w

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

a dug in Tiger 1 should be just as accruate as a pillbox with an 88 mm in it

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know, from the way I understand it, the concrete pillboxes were put in a long time before 1944, with lots of time to spare, analyse the terrain etc. Dug-in tanks were a quick attempt to use tanks otherwise useless (because they could not move), and/or were put in under field conditions, where the time was more pressing. This was a field expedient, not necessarily done by the guys who had all the equipment/time needed.

Not shooting down the idea, but I think the issue may be a bit more complex. However, I am pretty much clueless as to the mechanics of ranging, so any comment from someone in the know would be much appreciated.

Also, how many accounts of dug-in Tigers/Panthers on the West Front are there? I know of Panther Turrets as part of the defensive positions in Italy - never heard of those in France/Germany.

------------------

Andreas

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/greg_mudry/sturm.html">Der Kessel</a >

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 11-23-2000).]

My $0.02 cents.

Once AFVs occupy a defensive position, the crew is responsible for constructing a range card as part of their battle proceedure (at least here in Australia).

Even without the mod cons of a laser range finder, its quite easy to develop one using binos and a map. If its a fresh position this is the best you can do, if its an old position you could bore sight by firing a few rounds at locations (the resulting craters would blend in with pre-existing ones).

This would definitely aid engagement times and hit probabilities.

------------------

Regards,

Mark:-{)

Anxiously awaiting the G4 PowerBook