How to make scenarios more difficult

Carter

I'm looking for new ways to make scenarios more difficult.

I already configure my preferences so that OPFOR tanks and ATGMs have thermal imagers, OPFOR ATGMs are improved, there are no enemy OOB reports, and firing units are not always spotted.

I usually add all the standard optional red units.

I also upgrade OPFOR units. I change T-80s to TFOs, BMPs to BMP3s, ZSUs to 2S6s, and 122mm artillery to 152mm.

I don't usually rush the edge of the board (against the AI at least smile.gif). I read in the Gazette that I could keep further from the OPFOR side to increase difficulty.

I could remove friendly units, but a lot of times I don't use all my units anyway.

I could delay resupply like it was suggested in the Gazette, but what is a realistic way to do this? Imaginary Supply dumps? Just wait a few minutes and resupply units in place?

Maybe I should just give OPFOR more off-map artillery and ICM?

[This message has been edited by Carter (edited 03-08-2001).]

Well, you're on the track of some of the ways to increase the difficulty.

Try making the T-80s T-80 w/ ATGM instead of TFO. BMP2 to BMP3 is not necessarily harder, since even the improved BMP3 ATGM won't kill and M-1. The BMP-2's will, IIRC.

Give Opfor more 152mm arty, increase its resupply rate to maximum, and give it plenty of ICM. Increase its airstrike regeneration rate to maximum.

Remove all of your own artillery.

Remove all your Stingers.

In scenarios where Opfor enters the map, you may not move within 5km of their entry edge; give them time to deploy. (Killing them at the entry edge is pretty cheap, IMO.)

Don't use any resupply.

No resupply at all is a real difficulty enhancement.

My wife picks the level of difficulty and she changes some of the set up when I play solitaire.

Force your units to deploy and set up a hasty defensive perimeter. Like put all your units in one corner and move them from there.

Add in 'surprise' units. My wife is again a big help there. When she is not in the best mood she throws in an extra battalion or two. So while I lounge in 'assumed' victory the new units bust in to rain on my parade.

Hope some of these things help. :0)

------------------

M. L. Johnson

TAOC DAWG

Yes, I guess that I found a woman who likes to set up scenarios that kick my butt.:0

I think this summer when school is out I will teach her to play the game. Which is probably not a good idea. She teaches science I teach social studies so if I do teach her by the end of the summer she will be beating me at any scenario. smile.gif

------------------

"It ain't over till a grunt puts a flag on it!"

M. L. Johnson

TAOC DAWG

Originally posted by minmax:

No resupply at all is a real difficulty enhancement.

Speaking of resupply, I was wondering exactly what constitutes a 'realistic' level of resupply. I understand that this is dependant on a great many factors, but (for example) are those 4 Stingers that a Stinger Team gets meant to last a day or a week? Is there any relation between combat load and expected duration it's supposed to last?

1. Try playing the full TOE with all of the non-combat troops included: Medics, mechanics, Supply trucks, recovery vehicles. They count against your loss percentages without adding significant firepower (and in the real world you have to take care of these people too!)

2. Collect and tow your disabled vehicles back from the line of contact. That requires coordination and often supporting fire.

3. Don't let a unit resupply unless a supply truck can get to it or vice-versa.

4. Make aircraft fly back to a rearm/refuel point (FARRP) before they can resupply.

5. Downgrade your equipment to older models. Find yourself an H-series TOE for an M-60A1 tank battalion. Even T-72's get challenging then!

6. Replace a mech/armored task force with light infantry unit. Now you will really have to watch out for your casualty percentages.

7. And definitely play to manage your casuslties. Anytime my losses exceed 25% I figure I need more practice. I prefer to see them in the 'teens'.

Hope this helps and . . . ENJOY :)

Gary Chilcote, "Coyote"