Suggestion for targeting

Wouldn't it be sweet if either as a patch or in a further release there could be a TARGET ON included?

The purpose of this addition would be to have some way to direct your unit to fire mainly on certain type of unit.

Ok! I know it's "one of those" suggestion but I had a Panzerschreck firing is AT ammo on GIs.

Frustrating that...

smile.gif

------------------

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped

Well, as for me, it worked most of the time to hide my panzerschreck... that way, they would normally hold fire... at least if the GIs didn't come to close...

one thing that I am missing more is to tell your armored vehicles to target a specific target, so that it happened twice to me in VoT that my shermans plastered the reinforcement infantry but spared the panther.... uhm.. you can imagine that the panther didn't copy that attitude.... confused.gif

and i have a real problem with that hunt command... as it often happens to me that the tanks simply kept moving after taking the ridge in VoT, spotting some AntiTank teams, targeting them and continuing to move... frown.gif

you know, i WON'T drive towards an anti-tank team while sitting in a sherman...especially, when they spotted me too, but were to far away for their fire to be efective... (distance was somewhat like 280metres)

same goes for advancing on bunkers and enemy tanks...i would be happy if there would be an option that would allow me to advance until i spot a target (maybe i can define the target type, like infantry, anti tank teams, stationary targets without tankkilling ability, stationary targets with tank killing ability (i would like to kill those first personally biggrin.gif ) tanks, but thats not THAT necessary), then get a target lock, fire, and slowly reverse again... (the AI does the same thing after all....)

some command called like encounter with caution or the like...

So, BTS, may we get something like that into the game? .... Please? .... perhaps through a patch? ....

Well.. anyhow ... even if i have to live without this, i still love that game.. i know i will...

-- TargetDrone

who doesn't like to draw attention....

especially from guys with big guns....

ps: sorry for my buggy english redface.gif , but heck, it isnt my native tongue... so please have mercy, will ya? wink.gif

pps: I love those smile.gif smilies... although i noticed when reading some of the boards posts that some can't stand them... well ... to all that apply to the latter group... let me give you a big biggrin.gif

(sorry, couldn't resist, but they are soooo sweet tongue.gif )

[This message has been edited by TargetDrone (edited 06-06-2000).]

yeah its been discussed before and its frustrating.

Steve will argue vehemently that weapons like the StuGs are antitank in nature. I say, OK so be it, let me give them standing orders to attack tanks!! This would be great in the setup phase to give a mission priority.

I believe a weapon will attack its greatest threat if given an option of targets. But when I use my panther lets say in Valley, and I pull back so that I am out of LOS of so many shermans, I wish I could get the panther not to swing its turret to engage a 60mm mortor that isnt even firing!!! It obviously quickly "forgets" that 5 shermans are just beyond the hill in front of it and that "out-of-site-out-of-mind" takes over.

Its a command and control issue that hopefully will be addressed. I could even see the game evolving so that a better "command-n-control" army like the germans verse the russians, where the germans could change units "global" mission priority during the game. Perhaps when a flag changes hands or something like that.

Until then I use a gamey tactic of just pulling the panther completely out of everyones LOS and coming back at the shermans so that I wont be in a situation where I see infantry first.

Lewis

I also had that same frustrating level of lack of C&C in Steel 2 when those bloody BMP would receive ALL of your TOWs and you will have to fight the T80s by hand afterward...

It was when I first wanted an order saying a FIRE ONLY ON which could be override by the threat assesment that CM has.

But I'm just being picky because CM is perfect and I'm blaming them for all the nights BTS already owe me...

------------------

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped

damn... i'm missing another smiley here... one that has this doggy look, you know, the one you can't resist... maybe it would have helped me convincing BTS....

even if some guys would turn entirely mad on the introduction of a new smiley biggrin.gif

------------------

-- TargetDrone

who doesn't want to draw attention...

especially from guys with big guns ...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Time Software:

No worries - we're working on these issues for the v1.01 patch. smile.gif

Charles<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is really good news, Charles. You guys are incredible! Thanks.

------------------

Formerly known as not THE Charles from BTS