Scenario Depot Woes

Seeing all the Wild Bill threads lately, I thought to myself... "Whoa! I don't have anywhere NEAR enough Wild Bill scenarios!!!"

I quickly stormed the walls of CMHQ and attempted to gain access to Scenario Depot... It did not work...

I tried finding a back way in, via Wild Bills website... no Dice either...

I have now pretty much run the gambit of every possible link to anything resembling a scenario Depot and still have NEVER actually got the site to work...

I have probably never screamed, yelled, and danced naked in front of my PC more than in the last few days trying to access that site.

Is the site simply not working... or do I need to join the MASONS and learn a secret handshake before entering?

Help...

I know MadMatt's horribly busy (what with his new job and BBS monitoring and everything) but he should really think about doing something with that page. It needs another step so it doesn't have to go through ALL the scenarios. I've got an ISDN line at work and I still have to wait 10 minutes (at least, that's when I give up and look for another site.)

On the other hand, it's given me an opportunity to check out some of the other sites out there. Have you seen mensch's new scenario site? supercool.

------------------

"I'm the Quarterback. I make the plays. You back the plays I make." -Harvey Keitel to his adopted son in the movie "Dusk til Dawn" (about 3 hours before they're both ripped apart and eaten alive by vampires)

Mr Clark or any of you...anytime you have a hard time downloading any of my work, drop me a note, tell me what you want, and I'll send it to you.

I did not put in all this hard work to have the efforts become inaccessible for you.

You just let me know if you can't get it, and I'll send it to you directly. And it will be a pleasure to do so.

Thanks. I hope you really enjoy all of them. More are on the way.

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester

Scenario Design Team

Combat Mission-Beyond Overlord

billw@matrixgames.com

To be fair to Madmatt, it is really not his fault. He is unhappy about this situation as I am.

The Game (scenario) Depot is going to get a revision. The poor old program is just overloaded currently.

You can be sure that if Matt can find a way to speed it up, he will. "Slow" is not in his vocabulary. He leaves me out of breath eek.gif !

Anyone who changes his website every two or three days is working at a pace that I could never hope to contend with.

It has been mentioned once and again to TGN and I hope it is resolved.

In the future, I will start looking for a new, easily accessible site for you. We may also make a download section within the Boots N' Tracks section of the Raider page which might be a little quicker for you.

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester

Scenario Design Team

billw@matrixgames.com

I assumed MadMatt was on the case. Thanks WB!

(Now, do you have a listing of all your scenarios on another site so we can see which ones we should contact you about?)

------------------

"I'm the Quarterback. I make the plays. You back the plays I make." -Harvey Keitel to his adopted son in the movie "Dusk til Dawn" (about 3 hours before they're both ripped apart and eaten alive by vampires)

Uhh...I know it's a huge favor but...

Can you send me all of your scenarios? Beside the fact that I'd like to play through them I could host them at my site if you don't mind.

------------------

And if we abandon any platform, I can assure you it will not be the Macintosh.

-Steve

My website!

Glad you made it finally through, Mr Clark. smile.gif

The 56k Modem users ( I'm one of them too) do have some distinct advantages over those people with high-beam-particle-accelerator-schießmichtot-cable modems - we can, to some extend, partake in social life when we dl something. wink.gif

So you see, WBW and Madmatt, the long loading time on that site does have it's advantages.

BTW, Madmatt was gentle enough to post a header at that side where he clearly says that it takes a wile to upload.

------------------

Then god watched two historians having an argument. So he abandoned all hopes for mankind, turned his back to it and wept bitterly.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Schugger:

Glad you made it finally through, Mr Clark. smile.gif

The 56k Modem users ( I'm one of them too) do have some distinct advantages over those people with high-beam-particle-accelerator-schießmichtot-cable modems - we can, to some extend, partake in social life when we dl something. wink.gif

So you see, WBW and Madmatt, the long loading time on that site does have it's advantages.

BTW, Madmatt was gentle enough to post a header at that side where he clearly says that it takes a wile to upload.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Schugger,

Your right about the dl time being good for something. I usually grab a beer and a schnapps in preparation for playing the scenarios I am downloading! biggrin.gif

GP

Guest Madmatt

A suggestion would be to NOT use the Scenario Depot link in my side nav bar but the one up in the top banner. That will take you to a list of all the TGN game depots. Select the Combat Mission one and it will take you to a SEARCH screen. From there you can search for just New scenarios or ones fitting a specific variable. The search works pretty good and may prove to be faster than the way it is now. I wish I could do more with it but as Wild Bill said, it was pre-configured and is in dire need of an update. Maybe I can get it to list the last 10 submission instead of the full list...

Would that work for people?

Ok, I am trying that now, please tell me if thats faster for people!

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission and home of the CMMC

CMHQ-Annex

Host of the Combat Mission WebRing

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 10-24-2000).]

How about just putting all the scenario files on a public FTP server? That would be much faster when you know what file you want, and you could still read descriptions and ratings on the web site.

For me, the most annoying thing with the scenario depot is not the time it takes to load, but the way you have to go through several pages to download each file... frown.gif

On the way to you, Colin. Thanks for putting them on your site. Be sure and let folks know they are there. There are a couple of them that are committed to just one place. I will honor that, but you are more than welcome to the rest.

I appreciate you being kind enough to put them on your site. One question, though, is this for Mac or PC? I'm not clear if the scenarios you need are for both. Mine are for PC. I'll wait till I hear from you before I send them..

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester

Scenario Design Team

billw@matrixgames.com

Scenarios are cross platform.

I'll probably just leave them up as .cmb's(I won't compress them in any way). That way people can download them just by right clicking and choosing Save Link As... (or something similar; it varies from program to program).

------------------

And if we abandon any platform, I can assure you it will not be the Macintosh.

-Steve

My website!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by groundpounder:

Schugger,

Your right about the dl time being good for something. I usually grab a beer and a schnapps in preparation for playing the scenarios I am downloading! biggrin.gif

GP<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I sincerely hope that I do not need to worry for you, groundpounder wink.gif

Sometimes the download times for P..ehh.. Mods is long enough to get one mindlessly drunk, especially with the acceleration combo of beer and Schnaps.

However, downloading something on 56k modems is a perfect excuse to invite some friends and throw yet another party and "Dang!" there is your social life.

Seriously, there is a tool which I found to be very helpful. It was mentioned by some guys here on the forum, but I've lost the thread and could not say " Thank you!".

Grab it here

http://www.downloadaccelerator.com/?FromUpdate

One of them, Mr. Clark, Bridgehead at Benicourt, should be going up today along with three other new scenarios on the Boots N Track site at the Wild Bill's Raiders address.

http://wbr.thegamers.net

Check your mail in the meantime.

Go here and click on Boots N' Tracks on the side menu. THe new page should be up.

We hope to have soon our own little list of scenarios we have published available to download the scenarios that have been published at B&T. I'll try to get all 20+ scenarios and operations of mine up there too.

Maybe this will help.

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester

Scenario Design Team

billw@matrixgames.com