Naming for PBEM files

Ive got 4 games on the go right now and every1 uses different methods to name their files.

KJturn1a

Kj/xt1

turn1

turn1a

t1_kj

etc

I was just woundering if any1 has come across a "standard" way to do this so its less confusing.

Here's how I do it after setup:

I send the first turn: FrenchyvKiwiJoeT1a

I get the second turn: FrenchyvKiwiJoeT1b

I play the movie and send it: FrenchyvKiwiJoeT1M

You send me the next turn: FrenchyvKiwiJoeT2a

This method works for me.

Stole this naming convention from Robert Hall:

[scenario abbrev][Player1 initials][player2 initials][file creator](Movie)[turn number with leading zeros]

e.g.

The turn 3 orders created by the German played by Robert against me would be

VoTRHCLGE03.txt

The US player then puts in orders and creates movie named

VoTRHCLUSMovie03.txt

This lets you sort by name and have nice lists of files by each player. It is a little confusing in that files are labeled by the side that created them, and not the side that can watch them.

[This message has been edited by chrisl (edited 07-06-2000).]

Simplest is best for me. I just stick w/ numbers sequentially. Leave the title as whatever to distinguish from others. It's pretty impossible to keep it "on turn" so to say so the numbers do not have to match up w/ the game turn That way all I have to delete is the last digit(s) and save PBEM. That way my actions are ALWAYS even or odd for that game So if i need to easily KNOW the last move, I look for the higheest number

Guest aaronb

I use :

amisetup

gersetup

amimov1

germov1

gerplt2

and so on. Keeping track of which game is which involves the directory structure:

../pbem/gp1/setup

../pbem/gp1/turn1

and so on, where gp is General Patton, fk would be Fionn Kelly, and so on. I find that tracking the scenario name is not required, as each game is vivid in my mind during play.

This led to an interesting discussion with my wife:

"Who is Amy?"

"Amy who? I don't know any Amy."

"Right there on your screen: Amy Movie. Why are you watching movies of someone named Amy?"

I resolved this one by playing amimov1, resulting in a nice round of laughter.

Smilies caged in homage to MrPeng.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by muzzlehead:

I usually send my turn like this:

turn 1 scared Kiwi

turn 2 running Kiwi

turn 3 dead Kiwi

turn 4 victorious Muzzlehead

I've never seen a game go beyond 4 turns with Kiwi biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

To cool Scott! You know how I keep record of our turns; each turn equals one KOed Sherman.

Schugger

------------------

Es gibt Tage da verliert man und Tage da gewinnen die anderen.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KiwiJoe:

Ive got 4 games on the go right now and every1 uses different methods to name their files.

KJturn1a

Kj/xt1

turn1

turn1a

t1_kj

etc

I was just woundering if any1 has come across a "standard" way to do this so its less confusing.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, what a mess! It makes me glad I do all my PBEM in "friendly" games on the double-file exchange system. Instead of something that looks like a particularly nasty chemical compound, complete with embedded numbers, we get to use plain ol'Anglo-Saxon words. smile.gif

If I'm playing Fred, I'll always send him "View me Fred" (so he can view he turn I executed) and "Play me Fred" (so he can execute the turn I plotted). It doesn't get much less complicate than that, and the turns zing along smartly.

For standard PBEM play, though, I suspect you're doomed to a complex nomenclature, especially if you're trying to save all the turns of a game. (I don't, or my scheme would get more complicated, too!)

[This message has been edited by Iconoclast (edited 07-07-2000).]