Fog problem

I have ASUS GeForce DDR 32 MB and the latest ASUS 6.32 beta 5 drivers. We are playing a generated PBEM game which has fog. The problem is that if I enable partial or full fog support, then the whole display is gray, I can't see anything. I belive that the resolution is 1024x768, 16-bit color depth. Any ideas? Should I change to 32-bit, and how it is done? I have DirectX 8, no problems with other games.

Guest Madmatt

Go into your Display Properties panel and get to where all the Geforce controls are. Select Fog Table Emulation (its a checkmarkable box)

Voilla. Fog!

Madmatt

Guest Madmatt

ATI apparently does not *currently* support Fog Table style fog rendering in all there cards. They only support Vertex style fog. Combat Mission uses the older style Fog Tables to keep the game compatible with older video cards (and from what I hear its easier to code and less processor intensive as well).

I do not know why some ATI cards do not support this fog method.

Madmatt

Originally posted by Madmatt:

ATI apparently does not *currently* support Fog Table style fog rendering in all there cards. They only support Vertex style fog. Combat Mission uses the older style Fog Tables to keep the game compatible with older video cards (and from what I hear its easier to code and less processor intensive as well).

I have a problem with fog in CM too. Although I set it to Weather/Fog=Full, no fog is to be seen. I can see a gray horizon though. In other scenarios, rain and snow have shown up correctly.

Also, I usually see transparent white smoke correctly, but in occasions it turns into ugly black square shapes, still transparent but not as cool as the white foggy stuff.

My system is a Compaq PIII 566 Mhz, 64 MB RAM, 10 GB hard disk, Intel 82810e-DC133 Graphics Controller, Intel ® 810e chipset Graphics Driver (DC133 FSB133) 4.11.01.1321. No fog table checkbox that I can find under advanced properties.

Suggestions are welcome.

Caralampio

Guest Madmatt

Best bet is to try and look for some updated drivers for your video card. Maybe newer drivers will allow Fog Table Emulation to be selected which is what is required in order to see the fog in Combat Mission.

Madmatt