OT: Vietnam pointman

MCab

Guest MajorH

The squad machine gun would seldom if ever be used on point.

The squad machine gun is the most important weapon in a dismounted infantry squad (other than the radio). It is the base of fire that all the other weapons in the squad support and protect. You would not want to lose your most valuable and most powerful weapon in the first minute of an ambush..

Also, it and its ammo are too bulky and too heavy to be used on point. Few people can walk around for very long while holding a loaded machine gun at the horizontal ready position.

------------------

Best regards, Major H

majorh@mac.com

[This message has been edited by MajorH (edited 01-09-2001).]

The only thing I would add to what the Major has said is that a smart Platoon Sgt. or Lt. would have plenty of people trained on the M-60E3 and the SAW (SAWs are pieces of crap) So that no one could scam out of point. It was always my belief that every Marine got their turn at the job.

Another rule was don't allow an M203 to be up front either. The 40mm rounds need at least 5 meters to arm themselves.

------------------

M. L. Johnson

TAOC DAWG

It was pretty common in the Grunts and the Airwing for everyone to cross train. Sometimes we would do it just to releive the boredom never realizing this could be a real life saver.

Of course there is the down side of cross training. I had the not so bright idea of providing our new Lt. training on a MK-19. I thought Company Gunny's heart would explode after yelling at us like that for an hour straight.

------------------

M. L. Johnson

TAOC DAWG

What's wrong with the SAW?

I've read through field manuals, and it can be a little confusing sometimes as to how LMG's are employed. Do all members of a fire team always stick together or do they sometimes split off teams for special purposes (in this case, LMG teams)? How are bases-of-fire handled below platoon level? Is it similar to the company level?

Peace,

MCab

To answer your question

1. At 5.56 it lacks punch like its cousing the M-16.

2. Barrels don't last as long as those on M-60s

3. It was a real problem at times getting belted 5.56

4. Its not the M-60

5. It was clearly made by the lowest bidder

Base of fire depends on situations

Since SAW and 60s are louder than M-16s they should shoot and scoot b/c your enemy will seek to take out automatic weapons first.

Fire Teams in my view should NEVER be split up unless its your turn to go on OP or LP. Each person in a Marine Fire Team has a task that is part of the machine. Fire Teams that work together efficiently and effectively provid a basis for the Platoon to operate effectively. That is how it should work. I would split up a Fire Team that was FNG heavy. Most of the time replacements trickled in allowing me and the Lt. to place people with 3 strong vets that would help keep the virgins alive.

Usually unless the Company Commander distrusted the Lt. He would issue a deployment plan of where platoons would be placed and then let the Platoon Commanders decide the best set up for their squads and teams according to mission and terrain.

Hope that answers your questions. smile.gif

------------------

M. L. Johnson

TAOC DAWG

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by minmax:

Of course there is the down side of cross training. I had the not so bright idea of providing our new Lt. training on a MK-19. I thought Company Gunny's heart would explode after yelling at us like that for an hour straight.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, I'll show my ignorance. What is a MK-19 and why did the Gunny, ah, not like smile.gif you're training the LT on it?

No problem I should have explained since these are not common terms outside of the Marine Corps.

A gunny is a Gunnery Sergeant an experienced Staff Non-Commissioned Officer. Basically enlisted upper management.

A MK-19 is a machine gun that fires 40mm Grenades just like the ones an M-79 or M-203 fire.

Gunny threw a hissy fit b/c the Lt. was already dangerous enough using a pistol and a radio. Gunny figured putting that kind of firepower in the hands of an inexperienced Lt. was tantamount to arming a child. While I don't completely agree that all Lieutenants are dangerous children he had 22 years of experience on me.

------------------

M. L. Johnson

TAOC DAWG