Ammunition Shortage/2 ?'s

First, I did a search on this and got one hit on artillery. What I'm talking about came up because of my readings of the Ardennes and playing Chance Encounter. As to the former, you read alot about how groups tried to hold, but were running out of ammo and another is trying to break-thru. Will this type of 'chance' be available in a DYO?

I'm sure some scenarios might have this (like the somewhat arbitrary show up of reinforces in Reisberg).

The other question is how best to conserve ammo. In CE, I'm playing the US and have quickly advance to all buildings and am trying to hold out. But ammo is low. The only method I 'see' to use is to 'x' any firing from a unit and then hide them. This isn't fool-proof by anymeans. But hopefully slows down firing some. Is there another method?

dla

If you really really want to go sure that your guys hold fire, simply move them out of LOS of any enemy units. You can also use the AMBUSH command to have them hold fire. Besides that, in the final version, troops are less likely to open fire at longer distances, which results in much better fire discipline as well - even without the AMBUSH workaround, that is necessary in the beta demo.

As for ammo shortages, the scenario designer determines how much ammo each side has available. This is done for each unit and ammo type independently. In operations, each side has a supply level, which can range from NONE to AMPLE and determines how much new ammo (and reinforcements/replacements) that side receives in between battles. Again, it's up to the scenario designer to make a game as you described, but it's entirely possible.

Guest Big Time Software

One more thing to add here...

"Hide" now keeps your guys from firing unless they are about to be overrun or are under enough fire to make them move from their current spot. In the demo Hide only reduced the chance of opening fire, and we agree with everybody that this wasn't a good thing so we changed it.

Steve