Fanatics At Night

To avoid spoilage, I'm being vague in the details of the scenario here:

I'm playing a night scenario PBEM. Viz range is about 50m max. I'm defending. The troops on both sides are from very high quality units.

My opponent's troops seem to have a very high incidence of fanaticism. This is the only way to explain their behavior that I and my opponent can think of. In any case, whatever it is, it's having a pretty significant impact on the game and is being extremely detrimental to my opponent, instead of helpful to him. Here's what's happening:

1. Opponent advances toward my position with a platoon that is sneaking or moving.

2. One of his squads comes into view at 50m range or so.

3. 1 or more of my units shoots at this squad.

4. Target squad goes berserk and rushes blindly into the heart of my position, getting mowed down en route, last man falling dead on my parapet.

5. Meanwhile, remainder of opponent's platoon has slowly advanced and another squad has become visible.

6. Repeat the above procedure for remaining units in opponent's platoon.

Net Result: piecemeal destruction of opponent's grunts by combined fire of my whole line, for little loss on my side.

All this without my opponent able to do anything about it. The trigger seems to be his unit taking fire, at which point it goes totally out of control.

I think fanaticism needs to be examined and probably tweaked. Some situational modifier for reduced visibility seems in order to me. As it is now, fanaticism is a big handicap in this sort of situation.

------------------

-Bullethead

It was a common custom at that time, in the more romantic females, to see their soldier husbands and sweethearts as Greek heroes, instead of the whoremongering, drunken clowns most of them were. However, the Greek heroes were probably no better, so it was not so far off the mark--Flashman

[This message has been edited by Bullethead (edited 06-25-2000).]