TacOps for Training

Saber 12

MAJ H, I've recently downloaded the demo and want to commend you on a fine simulation. Will purchase the CD after the holidays. I'm particuliarly interested in using it for training and you & CPT Proctor's BCT are the only sims that I've seen that would really fit the bill. I've gone to various links and have gotten ideas from the manual, and I'm interested in getting ideas from others. Cavguy, what techniques are the 16th CAV using? Wish we had it when I went thru AOAC.

Thanks,

LP

Sir,

Here are some thoughts.

First of define your training objectives and the end state for your training. For a staff guy the emphasis might be on planning. For the guys with boots on the ground it might be execution.

Staff Objectives:

Write an OPORD based on the scenario info

Develop three COAs and ECOAs

Develop a synchronization matrix

Apply what you've produced (you gotta let them play the game)

Shooter Objectives

Deploy your company and assign sectors of fire.

Maneuver subordinate units keeping casualties down to X%.

Coordinate and synchronize fire support.

Employ your ADA assests.

Do all this without losing you whole unit.

You may consider saving the game every on every fifth game turn or at critical moments in the operation.

To be really effective you can setup a battlelab by networking a few computers , hell you could use laptops if you had to. This way you could run CPX style exercises.

Another idea would be to use the online documentation for using TacOps for training and write your own little training SOP. Make it a major project then sell it to the BN commander. Remember the training can't be to time or resource intensive or the commander will lose interest. Remember to rehearse some CPXs before you present it to your commander. When the time comes have him participate as one of the subordinate commanders that way he can get a feel for the training value. Don't forget your NCO and enlisted soldiers there is a lot to be gained from teaching them the more tactical side of their jobs.

Just a few ideas to get you started.

You can tell TacOps to automatically save the game every turn - set "Auto Save All Turns", under the File menu.

Also note the existence of the Overlay feature. This generates a snapshot of the TacOps game that you can view later, and which can be passworded such that it can be seen only by Red or Blue if desired. The overlay is usually rather smaller than the savegame. The overlay cannot be used to restart the game, however!

We have begun to use it to wargame (not necessairly the MDMP version) the BDE and BN OPORDs we have been writing. The SGI picks one of us (usually me) to play the OPFOR commander and we input the OPFOR in something that resembles the situation template. We then allocate the blue forces as per the task org. The mission is then executed with each staff element fufiling its function.

One technique my SGI wants to use is to put the blue commander and his staff in an isolated room with mapboards and radios and have the blue controller radio in spot reports to create a more TOC/Warfighter like atmosphere. Should be interesting.

Finally, each small group is going to put their best player forward in a head to head competition to determine the tactics award winner. (I hope to get this one wink.gif)

The school is really just beginning to feel out the uses of it. The senior cadre from COL Antal on down is very enthused about using it so I expect it to develop while I am here - they are rewriting the whole POI and testing it on my class.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Used TACOPS as a simulation engine to exercise the Bde staff this last summer.

We selected a couple of the Army's Small Group Exercises (SGE's) Training Support Packages to use for the Division/Brigade background for the MDMP.

Using Terrabase and the DEM files for NTC, we created our own TACOPS map to support the SGE training area.

From there, we plugged in the OPFOR based on the Intel in the SGE's, and the ran the Brigade attack based on the MDMP process of the Brigade staff.

We ran a "simcell" in a frame tent, with a TACOPS operator, Battle Captain, OPS NCO that representated input from the Battalions.

In the Brigade Main CP, we mustered one shift to monitor the TACOPS battle by FM radio.

We are on our way to preparing for our next simulation in preparation of our next Staff exercise this summer.

Using the Terrabase and DEMS (using reflectance) gives you a 6mb color map for a 15k x 15k area (depending on the kind of bmp file you want for color effect). You end up drawing in major roads/cities.

I'm not a GO at using Terrabase scanned maps yet. I end up with 5k X 5k maps that I have to patch together to get a larger playing field for Brigade Ops.

SGM O.

High speed, Sergeant Major! We're going to the same WFX. I don't know that the 37th Armor Bde is as familiar with commercial sims and their potential for training. I'm with the 38th ID DivCav and my Sqdrn Cdr is definitly interested and has down loaded demo of BCT. Also want him to check out TACOPS. Will email offline. Want to get where you guys are at.

tanks,

LP

and thanks to everyone else for the great input.

[This message has been edited by Saber 12 (edited 01-08-2001).]