Prisoners - armed & dangerous

A funny thing happened yesterday.

I was playing CE as US, took a German squad prisoner and suddenly they started firing at my troops and ran away!!! Needless to say, they didn´t get far. wink.gif

I did a search on the topic and found out that POW:s can run away when there is own troops nearbay (which it was) but that they shuld be unarmed. Well, this is probably taken care of already but I felt I had to vent my frustration. wink.gif

I hope it has been fixed in such a way that prisoners won't be so easily inclined to run for it. I took a Platoon Headquarters prisoner in a building once. Maybe he had some compadres in the next building or something, but during the course of the movie he unsurrendered himself and surrendered again at least four times, until the last man-jack of them was dead to be precise. You'd think after the first couple got shot trying to make a break the rest would be a little more humble.

------------------

Floreat Jerboa !

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kurtz:

A funny thing happened yesterday.

I was playing CE as US, took a German squad prisoner and suddenly they started firing at my troops and ran away!!! Needless to say, they didn´t get far. wink.gif

I did a search on the topic and found out that POW:s can run away when there is own troops nearbay (which it was) but that they shuld be unarmed. Well, this is probably taken care of already but I felt I had to vent my frustration. wink.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I understand your frustration. I captured most of a green US rifle squad. They surrendered nicely and behaved well. Then there was an American counterattack, not even close to where I had moved them under guard, and they all of a sudden had weapons and were firing at my guys. mad.gif I had moved them to a tree line to get them out of the incoming arty their own side was putting down on top of them(which you are supposed to do in the real world)...I sent a Halftrack to get them and it ended only when they were all dead. frown.gif I also had a few German POW's do something like that.

This is an interesting bit of modelling smile.gif and, now that I know to expect it, I keep POW's under closer watch and don't move them around too much.

• 5 months later...

If you have to keep moving and can't spare any watchdogs, you can area fire on their location (since you can't target them) with passing units.

YES, the casualties cost you victory points, but it seems to keep them in line. It's interesting to issue them Move orders- some listen, some don't.

Makes target selection easier. biggrin.gif

Guest Scott Clinton

Anyone else see prisoners get gunned down by the AI?

I have seen it at least three times.

I seems to happen in the same turn they surrender anywhere from 1-10 seconds after they put their hands up. The first time I must have watched it a dozen times....hands up...watch the clock...one...two...three...burrrrrrp... one dead now...then the prisoners go prone and the turn ended. smile.gif

Tonight, hands went up...one second later I see a man THROW a grenade. By the time it actually WENT OFF they had their hands up for 5-6 seconds...one less POW to care for.

Don't know if its a bug, but I like it, models reality very well from what I read. The first couple minutes after the hands went up were VERY dangerous... wink.gif

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.