Barbed Wire?

Just looking at the POTD (which is looking sweet) i noticed what apears to be barbed wire on the right hand side. Everything else looks great... but the wire (if thats what it is) doesn't. Hope the texture is fixed defore release, it needs to be finer or something.

Anyway on the same subject how does bw work? does it simply block infantry, and can it be run down (flattened) by tanks etc?

I started thinking the same thing as above when I first saw the wire in the DAM pictures. Sorry, but I've got to agree w/ these guys. All of the other graphics look terrific. :) But if this is supposed to be wire I think the texture needs some serious refinement.

Mike D

aka Mikester

Simple point guys...

IF barbed wire was historically and realistically fine in CM you'd never be able to see it.

You have a simple choice here.

1. Barbed wire which is realistic but no-one can see and which hundreds of players will complain about since they unknowingly order their men to run through barbed wire they couldn't see, get their men killed and then blame Steve and Charles for being incompetent game designers who should have realised this would happen or...

2. You have to deal with the unending pain and trauma caused by the fact that barbed wire is graphically thicker in CM than it is in real life so that it can be seen easily on a low resolution monitor from 400 metres away.

I spy a class action lawsuit similar to the government in America taking on tobacco giants and Microsoft in your future as you pursue BTS to correct this "horrific and unforgivable error" wink.gif

I can understand that something needs to be done (i.e. what it looks like now) in order to make the wire visible. However, be that as it may, IMHO the wire graphics that are there don't look that great. This is pretty darn minor though, so I'm not going to worry about it too much.

Mike D

aka Mikester

Aye, change them to the thinness you want. Maybe they'll be tweaked more but I think the way they are now strikes a good balance between visibility and realism. You have to remember that that picture was taken from 20 metres or so so it is no surprise the wire looks that thick. You would rarely be looking at it that closely in-game.

Good comments Mattias and Fionn. I guess I'll have to see what it looks like in the real game at different zoom levels. Also, I'd already thought about the editing of the texture. Sounds like something right up CoolColJ's alley. Mr. Cool, are you out there?

Mike D

aka Mikester