Can't destroy land bridges- bug?

While testing the effects of arty on various bridges, I noticed that land bridges can never be destroyed, or even damaged. I tested this extensively, using 10 elite 170mm arty spotters firing on a field of land bridges for 5 turns. The edges of the bridges were covered with craters, but not a bridge was damaged, although many of the rounds hit the tops of the bridges.

Is this intentional? Any ideas, anyone?

------------------

No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you. -Ender's Game

Guest Madmatt

WRONG!

I love proving you guys wrong on stuff.

Here is a little piccy of one of EVERY bridge thoroughly blown to crap. It's amazing what 3 dozen 14 inch FO's can do when targeting TRPs!!!!

deadbridge.jpg

And yeah, its pretty damn sweet when all those shells come in!!!

Madmatt

P.S. You know I was just thinking, I conducted this test with the new beta patch so maybe that was addresses but I am pretty certain I was able to blow them all to hell before as well. Either way, if it was broke before, its fixed now! wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 11-28-2000).]

Well if it's fixed that's good. I hammered away at one with 10 88mm Tigers from under 500 yds and it (stone land bridge) did not go down, and the Tigers ran out of ammo. I'm thinking it needs to die at the same rate as the stone bridge over water, and a bunch of 14" shells is not always available or desirable.

OGSF

Guest Madmatt

Well you need to look at what you firing at and with what. I mean its a BIG STONE BRIDGE for gods sake! smile.gif They tend to be pretty sturdy and the 88 isn't the most lethal High Explosive weapon in the world. In my test it took but one or two direct hits to collapse the each bridge in turn.

I know I have used Tanks to do the same in the past when this issue came up before. If there is time I will change my testing protocol around but right now the bridges durability feels pretty spot on to me.

Madmatt

OGSF wrote:

I hammered away at one with 10 88mm Tigers from under 500 yds and it (stone land bridge) did not go down

And that should be the correct behavior. Bridges are not easy to destroy, especially stone and iron bridges. Well, maybe 10 Tigers could be enough, but definitely one or two will not get it down.

And now for the the obligatory obscure reference:

Finnish pioneers tried to destroy a rail bridge at Kiviniemi in early December 1939. It succeded only partially as enough bridge was left standing to allow infantry cross it. Artillery was allocated to finish the job. The artillery batallion in the area had either 120 mm or 150 mm guns, I can't remember for certain and my copy of the memoirs of the batallion commander is at home right now. They tried for long to destroy rest of the bridge, but with no success. Most of the rounds missed and those that hit didn't have any effect. I seem to remember that they even brought one gun for direct fire, again with no effect.

- Tommi

Hmph, 14 inchers. Those grognards just can't have enough HE. smile.gif I figured about 500 rounds of 170mm would do the job, but they didn't even damage any of the land bridges. Anyone else think land bridges should be just a little bit weaker?

One of these days I'll find a real bug.

------------------

No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you. -Ender's Game

Hmmmm.....Madmatt, your "14-incher" on a TRP might be an interesting way to simulate an engineering demo team. In the scenario design, put the TRP on the bridge and give the "demolition" side a high-power (NAVAL) gun spotter (possibly as a later-game reinforcement). Of course, this simulates more of a "light the fuse & run" demo charge situation instead of a true "push down the plunger", but hey.....

If you want a true to life example of how hard it is to drop a bridge, read about the bridge at Remagen. It was an iron railroad bridge that took demolition charges, air bombardment and artillery rounds and still held up. Only after several days of heavy use by American mechanized units did part of the span collapse. This is hard to depict in 30 to 60 minutes of combat in CM.

------------------

Blessed be the Lord my strength who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight.