My Stuart took out a panther!

And from 500 meters! Alright so it's not THAT amazing but it sure did put some spirt back into me. A couple of panthers and some pillboxes had occupied this one hill the entire battle. My shermans were camped out behind some trees and terrain after they saw what the 88mm pillbox and the 75's on the panthers were doing to their armor (A few burning hulks were currently smoking on the hill ridge above to remind them). I sent a platoon of stuarts along the right flank to draw their fire and pushed the shermans back over the hill for another go at it and when the panthers started grinding their turrets back towards the shermans one of the stuarts got a side turret penetration from 500 meters! I was a little bit flustered to see one of those beasts go down. Maybe I won't be so timid about pitting light tanks against german armor in the next battle?

Hawkeye

My story, not as impressive as yours, had my 75mm Shermans do the same from about 500 meters as well. A Panther was parked on a hill and was simply harrasing my infantry as they moved. After seeing a squad or two, and a few HTs shot-up, and tried moving a 76mm Sherman up who was quickly dispatched by the Panther. Looking at the terrian I saw a nice defilade below the Panther. I had the bulk on my Shermans move out [to the left by the Panther's view] and lay down fire and to draw some. smile.gif As the panther engaged them, some how not destroying any of them, I had the Sherman [to its right] sprint forward for the defilade. As the Sherman hauled butt up the road the Panther turned to engage it but didn't get a shot off before the Sherman made it to cover. The Panther then roatated its body to face the close Sherman, I suppose it figured a close 75mm was more of a threat, and this gave the other group flanks shots and one took it out! biggrin.gif

Cav