Canadian Tanks in PB24

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shadow 1st Hussars:

Why have all Churchill tanks, excluding the Churchill croc, been removed from the Canadian Tank inventory? frown.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because they never had any in real life?

That is at least what this website suggests:

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/8418/21agt-2.htm

Does anybody have info to the contrary?

You can still realistically mix & match, because the UK Tank Brigades with Churchills were used to support the Corps with Canadian divisions quite often.

------------------

Andreas

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/greg_mudry/sturm.html">Der Kessel</a >

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 12-26-2000).]

Given that the Canadians had Churchills when they were creamed at Dieppe (good old Winston - sending dominion troops in instead of Tommies), I would have thought they would still have them in '44.

------------------

Regards,

Mark:-{)

Anxiously awaiting the G4 PowerBook

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gibsonm:

Given that the Canadians had Churchills when they were creamed at Dieppe (good old Winston - sending dominion troops in instead of Tommies), I would have thought they would still have them in '44.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't even think about blaming Dieppe on the Canadians....I'll turn it right back around at the Brits

Originally it was intended that Army Tank Brigades would field the Churchill while the Armoured Regiments fielded the Ram. Even prior to Dieppe it was decided that Churchills would be replaced by Rams or Shermans in the Tank Brigades.

British Churchills were frequently used to support the Canadians in '44, however. This can still be accomplished in CM by choosing your tanks under "British" and infantry under "Canadian".

Yeah, I can't find any reference to Canadians using Infantry tanks after 1942. We had some independent Armoured Brigades, but, no independent Tank Brigades. Seeing as Canadian and British forces constantly intermingled the attaching of a British Tank Battalion would not be out of the question for a Canadian Infantry group.

Regarding Dieppe, it is a poor commander who blames his failures on his troops. There were many factors to why Dieppe failed, place a crack US Marine force in the place of the 2nd Canadian Division and they will suffer the same losses and failure. The troops were fine, the plan was flawed.

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gibsonm:

good old Winston - sending dominion troops in instead of Tommies<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm, the Canucks getting all upset again... wink.gif I actually read this as 'Good old Winston (insert sarcasm here), sending dominion troops instead of Tommies out to get slaughtered on a sure-fire loser' (how fast can you say 'Gallipolli'?) which would also be a bit unfair on him, since the 2nd Canadian Infantry was apparently tearing at the leash to get some action (well, their officers were).

------------------

Andreas

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/greg_mudry/sturm.html">Der Kessel</a >

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 12-27-2000).]