On Board Mortar Indirect Fire???

Color me confused. I have not yet gotten the knack of using my on-board mortar teams. If I read the manual right they should be able to target units that are not in thier LOS but are in the LOS of a platoon Cmdr?. Direct fire works but thats not good odds for the mortar team. How does one correctly employ indirect fire with On-board mortar units?

Thanks much,

Kevin

Guest ACTOR

The key to using a pltn. cmdr. is to make sure that he has contact with the mortars and can also see the target you want to hit. This can be difficult, but keeping the mortars close to him and still out of LOS to the target can be done.

Give it a try and let me know. To practice, set up a small scenario with two or three mortars and a cmdr. Have them target a stationary enemy like a pillbox that is facing the opposite direction. That way you can move them around without fear of being zapped. You will soon get the hang of it.

Guest Germanboy

There is a long article on either CMHQ or CMHQ Annex explaining the procedure in great detail. Don't ask me for the link though.

------------------

Andreas

Pfalz,

The reason I asked about indirect fire from Mortar Vehicles is that I could not get them to fire when they were in the command radius of a Company commander with outstanding views of the battlefield, they had not moved from their initial setup points, and they would not fire. I have used the search before, and no one has discussed the vehicles before.

So I ask anyone in the know, can mortars on vehicles fire indirectly, or are they treated differently as they are vehicles?

Thanks

CrapGame

------------------

CrapGame out

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CrapGame:

Pfalz,

So I ask anyone in the know, can mortars on vehicles fire indirectly...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>...or are they treated differently as they are vehicles?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes. As the game is presently programmed, vehicles of any type cannot be put in C&C, and therefore cannot use an HQ as a spotter. I don't know what BTS' reasoning is on this and thus cannot hazard a guess whether it will ever be changed. Can't say I like it though. frown.gif

Michael

[This message has been edited by Michael emrys (edited 07-11-2000).]

Mortars, also I believe, cannot fire while in the woods. Make sure they are behind something without any overhead cover. Give that a try.

As for mortars in vehicles...I too could only get them to fire in direct fire mode. Seems to me they should also have the ability to fire indirectly. I think this needs to be changed. Can anyone give an yea or nay answer to this?

------------------

Webmaster

http://www.trailblazersww2.org

http://www.vmfa251.org

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael emrys:

I don't know what BTS' reasoning is on this and thus cannot hazard a guess whether it will ever be changed. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I too hope that it is on the list, but I don't find it a major problem, I must say. Just use a mortar team and a carrier/Kübelwagen if you want a mobile mortar with the ability to do indirect fire. Works for me.

------------------

Andreas

Michael,

Thanks for the reply. I noticed that there was no "in command" line from the company commander to the vehicle, but thought that it just didn't show for vehicles. I specifically picked out the mortar carriers instead of the individual teams, because I thought they would have a higher ammo loadout than the teams. However, not being able to use them indirectly made me expose them to enemy fire to use them, and they died rather quickly.

Andreas, that's a good idea. I'll file that one away for later use.

------------------

CrapGame out

Guest Madmatt

The Mortar vehicles inablity to indirect fire WAS pointed out (by me among others I am sure) to BTS some time ago.

I think the reson it is not currently supported is in the manner that vehicles are implemented. Since they have no separate commander (they are autonymously commanded in essence) there is no way for them to be 'under command' and gain the benefit of that commander providing spotting. I am pretty sure that this spotting by proxy is closely related to the code that handles HQ command radii and as such would be difficult to add since none of this is relevant to vehicles.

It may be added down the road, but I think it will be a much more difficult addition to the code then what it seems at first...

Also realize that having HQ spot for mortars onboard was a rather recent addition (one of the last new features IIRC) so it's not surprising that the vehicles were not coded to do this from the start.

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 07-11-2000).]

MadMatt,

Thanks for the input. If it's added down, the road, that'd be nice, but if not, we'll get by with some of the other ideas that have been presented.

I definitely feel this should just be an item to put on "the list", and certainly should not be a priority item among the stuff already on "the list"

------------------

CrapGame out

CrapGame,

I apologize for not answering your question. Actually, my post was not directed at you. I was simply pointing out to a certain newbie 1) to use the search function, and 2) to not post everything in caps. Didn't mean to slight you in any way.

[This message has been edited by Pfalz XII (edited 07-11-2000).]

Pfalz,

No worries, mate. I wasn't sure if anyone was going to answer my question is all. While I have you on the topic of the mortar 1/2 tracks, what is the difference between the two german ones (I think one is 250/7? and the other is a 251/7?) Do they carry different weapons, or ammo loads? I'm at work, so I can't look them up here. Also, in the battle I used the cheaper of the 2, and it didn't seem to have an MG. Is that right?

Thanks,

------------------

CrapGame out

Ha ha! If you are looking for the definitive answer, you have come to the wrong place! wink.gifFrom what I can gather there is not much of a difference between the SPW 250/7 and the SPW 251/2. They are both 81mm mortar carriers, have no transport capacity, and do not carry mg's. The 251/2 is heavier and has slightly better protection/armor sloping.

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CrapGame:

what is the difference between the two german ones (I think one is 250/7? and the other is a 251/7?)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ammo loadout max 42 in the 250, max 66 in the 251

------------------

Andreas

Thanks Pfalz, Andreas.

I was wondering what the differences were, and (hate to admit this) was being forced to rely on remembering my old CC series battles to figure it out. This makes it a lot clearer. More ammo and a little more armor.

------------------

CrapGame out