Assault Boats and Troops

Guest Capt_Manieri

Guest Capt_Manieri

Now, I know that a group of 3 troops visual is the equivalent of 12 or 9 or whatever the hell the number is. My question is "VISUALLY" what is the troop capacity of a single rubber assault boat. Could you fit, like, two three man squads or perhaps a three man squad and 2 engineers and a Lieutenant? Could someone tell me? Thanks,

Guest Big Time Software

There is no standard as there were more types of boats in WWII than you can shake a stick at. The rubber boats tended to take a half squad I think, simply because they were smaller. The ones in CM take a full squad (12 men) or two teams (I think). Personally, I haven't used them yet, although I did a dandy of a texture set for 'em smile.gif

Steve

I'd imagine that rubber boats would be awfully vulnerable to Machine-gun/Rifle fire from shore....

Can you Say Pop? wink.gif

(I know nothing about military assault boats, this is simply my first impression, especially since WWII was before the age of kevlar)

-EridanMan

You'd be right wink.gif.

A parachute battalion conducting a river crossing in rubber boats during Operation Market-Garden lost half of its first wave company before they set foot on the opposite bank despite a massive arty barrage and close to 40 Shermans firing smoke and HE in direct support.

River assaults are not for the faint-hearted.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Manieri,

Have you SEEN the boats that we're talking about?

They are little canvas or rubber things. A squad can get in there just about. Any more and it is overloaded. During Arnhem they tried to put 16 guys on each boat (CM simulates it as 1 squad plus 2 crew ( 14 men) ) and some of the boats sank due to overloading.

1 squad is all you could realistically get on these little spit together things.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers