The PBEM Files That Wouldn't Die

For some strange reason, when I attach a file for my new game the ones from my old one still show in the list. I find this decidedly odd since I trashed all such previous files, both in the game specific folder and the PBEM folder, as well as killing the originals in my E-mail in and out boxes.

I'm running under CM 1.05 on an iMac under OS 8.6, but the prior game was under CM 1.03, though I doubt that matters any.

Can anyone explain why this has happened and how to flush what should be an almost empty file? Also, does anyone know why the outgoing PBEM file consistently refuses to go in the game specific folder and winds up in the general PBEM folder instead?

Regards,

John Kettler

Leland,

The list I'm referring to is the PBEM folder or the dedicated game specific folder. In either case, it's where incoming turns are saved and from where outgoing ones are attached. I've deleted the contents of both folders, yet somehow they're still there when I download turns or send them out.

Hope this is clearer.

John Kettler

Ok, let me see if I've got this right. You have a PBEM folder in your CM folder (as we all do) which is where CM puts turn files you generate, and where you copy files emailed to you so you can load them in CM. You've got some old game files (or whatever) and want to clean them out. So in the Finder you open the PBEM folder, select the files, and drag them to the Trash. Then you select Empty Trash from the Special menu. For good measure, you went to wherever your mailer (which mailer, BTW?) stores incoming files and threw THOSE files away, as well.

And after this, you're saying the files are still there in the Finder view of the PBEM folder? Or are you talking about the file selection dialog box that CM presents when you order it to load a PBEM file?

------------------

Leland J. Tankersley

Well, that's damn peculiar. So in the Finder view, your PBEM folder is empty, but the CM file selection box still shows files there?

I'm just going to throw out some possibilities, I wouldn't bet much on any of these being right, but...

Are you running some kind of unerase/deletion protection utility?

Are you sure the CM file selection box is looking at the right folder? I'm imagining a scenario where maybe you copied CM from one location to another, or have two copies installed (maybe one is the demo, or an old version for PBEM compatibility), and you've emptied out ONE PBEM folder, but not the one that CM is looking in.

Do you do any tinkering with utilities like ResEdit or other development tools? Could you have turned on the bit that turns files invisible?

Try doing a "Find" (command-F) in the Finder and searching for one of the files you see in your selection box, on all mounted disks/partitions.

------------------

Leland J. Tankersley