AI ammo selection

I was playing a pbem DYO where at a critical juncture, a one-on-one dual between a Hellcat and a PzIV/70 took place. Due to, presumably, a combination of terrain and armor slope it became fairly evident that the PzIV/70 was impervious to the Hellcat's 76mm AP shot, although the quoted kill chance was "excellent". Five ricochets off the front superstructure later, the PzIV pops the Hellcat. Now during all this time that the Hellcat was bouncing shots off the stationary PzIV/70 it had two nice shiny tungsten rounds sitting around, but chose not to use them.

My question is how does the AI decide whether or not to use this enhanced ammo? Is it based on the calculated kill chance with standard AP and if so does this factor in the effects of terrain and armor slope on target survivability. Are there any circumstances in which the AI will fire tungsten rounds if standard ammo is having no effect.

Joe

I had a similar situation. In a recent PBEM battle I had a wolvarine shooting at a Hetzer from 700 metres. The Wolvarine had 21 AP and 5 T rounds. 1st shot it fired was an AP round which bounced off that highly sloped Hetzer front armour. The hetzer then fired and missed... then i fired agian, with an AP round, and got a front penetration.

Now I was ok with it firing an AP round 1st up, but if had of been in that tank the next round would have been a tungsten round for sure.

Thinking about it I couldnt really see a way of programing the AI to use the round the player thinks is correct in each and every situation. Thus the only way around the problem is to allow the player to tell the tank which round to load and fire. When a tank targets another tank it should ask which type of round should be fired... same as when a tank targets infantry it asks whether or not to use the main gun. Also during setup u should be able to select which type of round is loaded into the beech 1st up.

Guest Scott Clinton

Hmmm...I too have been wondering about this. But my exper. is from Panthers where the 76mm guns have a tough enough time penetrating regardless.

The only time I have consistantly seen the AI choose to use the tungsten ammo is against monsters like the King Tiger, Jadgpanther, etc.

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

Well, in a PBEM I'm playing against Fionn, my Sherman Jumbo (at least that's what Fionn thinks it is) took out his Panther with a Tungsten round. To Fionn's consternation, it found a weak spot in the Panther's armor. First shot, too! Boy was I loving it! biggrin.gif

------------------

"Don't lie to me, Gustav! You're a stinkin' Mac user!"