Review in German game Mag Gamestar

RMC

I was surprised to see them review it at all since they never mentioned it before. They don't have a wargames guy like Trotter to plug it.

The translation is mine and any errors are, therefore, mine.

"Strategists who like to ponder their next moves in peace have a hard time of it. If it weren't for the Panzer General series, the entire genre of realistic, turn-based wargames would go down in the real time mainstream. Combat Mission holds the standard high with 3D graphics and a successful turn concept. According to the developer the game is available only from their website in order to avoid the financial necessities of the software industry. Their interesting website is dedicated entirely to turn-based strategy.

From the 1944 Normandy landing to the end of the war in May 1945 you play the course of the war in 43 missions. A battle generator and scenario editor are included. Beofre each mission you decied to play either the allied or axis powers. Each battle begins with a fixed number of troops. Naval and ar units are excluded; you command only ground units, mostly armor and infantry. Artillery fires from off the map at the direction of observers.

The way the turns are resolved is unusual for a turn-based game. You and your opponent issue all the orders for the next turn. Only once you hit the "Go" button are those orders carried out for a minute -long turn in which you cannot interfere. You can watch this 3D sequence as many times as desired from any desired angle to analyze them fully. With the practical menu system or keyboard commands you can easily give complete chains of orders. Fire and move commands are given with the mouse and lines of sight and ranges are also shown.

The computer opponent appears clever. It will try to lure you into ambushes and hides his troops behind houses or burned-out wrecks. All troops have a morale value that drops or rises basedon the flow of the battle. When a tank is knocked out, the crew bails out and flees.

The 3d terrain is consituted from textured blocks that give it a blocky look but make it clear what terrain awaits you. The free movable camera allows you to zoom out very far. This allows you keep your overview. The unit animations come of somewhat wooden. The graphics show enough details to follow the flow of battle: you'll know if rounds are ricocheting or missing altogether."

Graphics: Satisfactory (3/5)

Sound: Satisfactory (3/5)

Interface: Good (4/5)

Gameplay: Very good (5/5)

Multiplayer: Satisfactory (3/5)

Overall: 72%

There is also a sidebar from the reviewer (Markus Schwerdtel) called "Experiment Successful":

The idealists at Big Time Software have created a worthy strategy game. The concept of the simultaneous moves works surprisingly well. I enjoy watching the exciting battle sequences multiple times to really not any detail. The game is surely too complex for beginners; hardcore strategists will treasure the demanding program.

Cool, I never thought they would review CM at all and therefore I sent them an email about a month ago. Maybe that was their reaction, since they didn´t answer at all... smile.gif

In my opinion, GameStar is definitely the best german PC games magazine. 72% might seem to be not enough for our board, but I think it is justified. Don´t forget, those guys get to test the "cream" of modern PC games, and compared to newest graphic standards a "satisfactory" is the best CM could possibly get. Anyway, 5 out of 5 for "gameplay" is what really matters...

Is it in the newest issue?

------------------

"I am no fool!"

Michael

Went and grabbed the issue. Not a bad review at all, I thought... until I saw that the newest Panzer General installment got 85% vs. 72% for CM. PG has - tatadam! - better sound...

------------------

"An hour has 60 minutes, each minute in action has a thousand dangers."

- Karl-Heinz Gauch, CO 1st Panzerspähkompanie, 12th SS Panzerdivision

Hmm, I´m out of the PG-series since Allied General. Not because it turned so bad since that time, but I missed the info-window in PanzerGeneral 3D and a few other interface thingies.

Anyway, PG and better sound? I think I have to take a look at this masterpiece of symphony wink.gifwink.gifwink.gif

Really, has anyone played it yet? What are your thoughts?

------------------

"I am no fool!"

Michael

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RMC:

Graphics: Satisfactory (3/5)

Sound: Satisfactory (3/5)

Interface: Good (4/5)

Gameplay: Very good (5/5)

Multiplayer: Satisfactory (3/5)

Overall: 72%

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only 72%? That was kinda cheap don't you think, especially since other magazines and sites have given it between 85 and 95%.

------------------

< All gave some, some gave ALL>

Owner of MiNa's CMBO Page

http://come.to/combatmission

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Only 72%? That was kinda cheap don't you think, especially since other magazines and sites have given it between 85 and 95%.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, I think the overall rating of 72% is quite fair. Don´t forget:

-GameStar very seldomly rates games over 90%

-they rate for an average computer gaming public; of course we folks around here would(grognardus vulgaris) consider anything under 90% a blasphemy but the average computer-quake-command&conquer-diablo-NeedforSpeed gamer (at least here in Germany = ComputerBild) won´t give a heck about CM

-with 5 out of 5 in the gameplay category CM got the best possible rating, and concerning graphics and sounds (and maybe even the multiplayer aspect) let´s face the truth: CM is not a major player in those aspects

As for the other ratings: maybe other game magazines only compare games within similar categories (eg. strategy, action, etc.). And certain internet site awards are surely biased. I mean, wargaming sites will be much more benevolent to CM than non-related sites.

Just my two Pfennig smile.gif

------------------

"I am no fool!"

Michael