This is UNCANNY!!!!!!

The guy for the British Airborne is also from a famous picture. I believe that Steve once said that all the default portraits were taken from real photos.

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

CMHQ-Annex

Host of the Combat Mission WebRing

Guest Michael emrys

That's the guy alright. God knows I've seen him often enough in the last three months.

BTW, the nearest guy on the right in the top photo, is that a water-cooled MG he's totin'?

Michael

The second from the last table is really interesting.

I DEMAND nationality differences in morale be instituted. More US infantry sooking out in battle should be seen, their firepower should be reduced by 5% relative to British troops coz they are cowering in their foxholes crying for 'mommy'.

Clearly this is a result of inadequate bayonet training which is unfortunately not modelled in CM since I would dearly love to give Bastables' SS babyboys a taste of steel in our current PBEM but can't grrr.

'At 'em boys' oops not allowed to do that, gotta just sit here and let them use all that closequarters firepower on us grrrrr. When your 15m from Jerry do you ping at him with your rifle or use the pointy bit on the end...rant-rave-rant....

*sigh* H2H for CM2 please biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Simon Fox:

*sigh* H2H for CM2 please biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll ignore your rant about the differences between cross-dressing Anglo-Colonials and red-blooded Americans. More than half the post-war generation must have American blood anyway.

WRT h-t-h combat, I'm pretty sure it's in there. On several occasions when I sent my boys in to kick Jerry's backside I heard the sweet sound of rifle butt on cranium. You probably heard it before but mistook it for your boys playing cricket.

------------------

Ethan

-----------

Das also war des Pudels Kern! -- Goethe

[This message has been edited by Hakko Ichiu (edited 09-20-2000).]

Guest Offwhite

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Simon Fox:

The second from the last table is really interesting.

I DEMAND nationality differences in morale be instituted. More US infantry sooking out in battle should be seen, their firepower should be reduced by 5% relative to British troops coz they are cowering in their foxholes crying for 'mommy'. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's pretty funny. Before today, I wouldn't have guessed there could be humor in casualty reports.

Jokes aside, though, it got me to thinking. Isn't it possible that the American medical service was simply better able to identify combat fatigue? There could easily have been just as many British troops "crying for mummy," but not diagnosed or reported.

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pathfinder:

sure looks like it to me M Emrys but it might be a mortar tube too. Neither is light....

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought of a mortar tube too, as that would be more likely given the time and place. But if you look carefully at the part down near his hand, it looks to me awfully like the breech etc. of an MG. But then the photo isn't good enough to form a definite conclusion, I'm afraid. The guy on the left appears to be carrying the tripod, but I guess it could also be the bipod for a mortar. A tantalizing mystery.

Michael

Guest Offwhite

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by virtualfreak:

I wish steve had chosen a better looking guy too represent the americans.I mean the british guy he chose was in much better shape than this poor fellow. I wonder if he is still alive?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm waiting for somebody to post a message telling us that some unit profile is a shot of their Dad or Great Uncle Hans biggrin.gif