Pershing's Gun

Hmm, difficult question...

What do you mean by effective? Don't laugh, it's a serious question.

A Pershing can just about kill a KT from any range if it hits a weak spot.

It can certainly kill it if firing from within 100 metres.

From about 500 metres or so it's a pretty safe bet..If I was you I'd get within 500 metres of any of those heavy tanks just to be sure. A 90mm gun is no guarantee of a kill PLUS you have to hit to kill and at low ranges like 500 metres the chances of hitting are much higher.

Guest Big Time Software

Here's a graph of the Pershing's 90mm gun versus a King Tiger using its standard armor-piercing ammo. Note that it's almost totally ineffective from the front eek.gif (barring a fluke "critical hit", which can indeed kill the KT but is not depicted in the graph). The tungsten-core ammo occasionally carried by the Pershing would do a bit better, but this ammo was almost never supplied in ample quantity. mad.gif

The Pershing was a very good tank, but it's important to remember that it was roughly in a class with the Panther (a "heavy medium") not the King Tiger, which is a true heavy tank.

Charles

90vsKT.jpg

I just love graphs. This one raises an A/I question in my mind though. Let's imagine a fairly large engagement with lots of armour on both sides. Will my A/I Amis choose a target at longer range, laterally across the battlefield for the flank shot, rather than a closer frontal shot? Will my guys mutually support each other, or is it always a sauve-qui-peut situation?

------------------

Floreat Jerboa !

Charles,

WOW! That is some graph you have there. Nice one.

I always thought I was the only wierdo who liked to analyse the bejeezus out of my penetration chances tongue.gif

(I did all the graphs and analysis and stuff for the CC3 strat. guide and for CC2)

Is the graph available or in the manual perhaps?

Thanks,

Bruce

I believe there will be a utility available in the game to do this yourself. Pick the gun type from column 'A' and the target vehicle from column 'B' and, presto, instant penetration chart.

If you notice the chart is reallly a 90mm gun versus a King Tiger so the chart would would equally well simulating the Jackson TD which also mounted a 90mm gun, I think.

Jason

So will my units support each other or is everyone only concerned with themselves? Not a hard question really....

------------------

Floreat Jerboa !