Play balance inconsistancies

I Have played VoT against another human where I was the Germans. I received +25% for balance. I had in my OOB 1 75mm AT pillbox to fight with.

That game is over and I started another game with a different person where he is the Gerrys. It is at +25% for the germans and after the set-up I noticed he has 2 75mm pillboxes.

Why the difference. Talk about a huge thing to overcome!

The +25% is random. I think it takes the total point value of all of the units, fortifications, mines, etc. that the Germans have as a default value and multiplies it by .25. So if the total point value of the German base scenario units is 400 pts. they get an additional 100 points worth of stuff. The computer then uses these 100 points to randomly buy stuff of similar type to what they already have. I was messing around with this over the weekend to see what would happen and it came up with all sorts of stuff. One time it gave the Germans 5 80mm mortars + other stuff. Another it gave them 3!!! 150mm infantry guns + other stuff.

This was discussed before and when I originally saw how the game handles it I didn't like it. But now that I think more about it I like the way BTS handles this in the game. Why? Because I think it adds more replay value to the scenario. As the Americans in VoT for example, if the Germans get +25% you can't guess what they will get. Keeps you from making assumptions and makes you way more cautious than you would otherwise be after playing the scenario for the first time.

Mike D

aka Mikester

[This message has been edited by Mikester (edited 05-30-2000).]

You make up for it somewhere else. You might get only one 75mm bunker at +25% but you will also get an extra shreck or MG team.

Consider this, If you knew what his OOB will be at each increment then you will have very little FOW. The game gives you a random OOB to make it more interesting (although the ratio of new units needs to be fixed).

------------------

"I do like to see the arms and legs fly"