CCJ is tweaking again! This time its sound!

Anybody interested in a Saving Private Ryan Sound Set for CM Beta demo? biggrin.gif I spent all day yesterday sampling all the cool sounds from SPR. I did a rough test today with 50% of the sounds in , and damn does it sound and play nice! smile.gif

Some of the original Beta sounds are there, but I replaced most with some nice SPR sounds, like the MG42 and .30 Calibre. I also replaced all the Cheesy US voices with some appropriate SPR ones tongue.gif

Get ready to relive the movie in CM! Just gotta clean up the samples and run them through CoolColJ's secret sound sweetner combo wink.gif

Seriuosly adds to the immersion....a perfect compliment to my tweaked textures and uniforms biggrin.gif

CCJ

My Website - www.geocities.com/coolcolJ

Check out my Tweaked textures for CM demo and my music too

[This message has been edited by CoolColJ (edited 01-17-2000).]

AWESOME!!!

When you finish it, can you post where we can download it?

SPR is only my all time favorite movie, and adding sounds from that to the game that's had me playing the demo over and over until the wee hours...well...just want to say: HURRY, and finish!!!

I've been reading this board daily looking for any info on when your tweaked sound mods will be released. Can you give us a progress report? Maybe one of the beta testers can tell us about the secret of "CoolColJ's secret sound sweetner combo."

Can you please give us a clue as to when they'll be ready or at least give us some demo sounds. I can't stand it!!

Can you tell I'm interested? wink.gif

Matt

"CoolColJ's secret sound sweetner combo."

biggrin.gif

is a combo of plug-ins in my sound editing program called Wavelab v3.0 wink.gif - comprises - DC cut > normaliser > Tube sound plug-in > AIPL Warm tone plug in > Time works mastering Compressor > DC cut > 16 bit dither with noise quantising = finished enhanced sound wink.gif If you understood all the above, you know something about sound mixing tongue.gif

Mac version - I'm not sure how mac sound is done, aiff ? sound files? THey are all Wav files in the PC version, if someone lets me know what format it is, I can convert them no probs smile.gif

I'm nearly finished - Hopefully in 12 hours time they'll be on my website. I didn't replaced the German voices, since I can't undertand them , and there are 2 US voices I left in, since I couldn't find a SPR replacement biggrin.gif But any existing sounds have been enhanced.

there are some interesting Hand 2 Hand combat sounds in there 2 wink.gif

------------------

------------------

CCJ

BLITZ_Force

My HomePage -----> www.geocities.com/coolcolj/

Check out my Tweaked Textures for the CM Beta Demo! :D Oh Yeah - listen to my music too (mp3)!! :P

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CoolColJ:

"CoolColJ's secret sound sweetner combo."

biggrin.gif

is a combo of plug-ins in my sound editing program called Wavelab v3.0 ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How does that work for you? I've used wavelab for mastering, and it's great, but for really hammering on files, I like to use CuBase to do my editing... but then I am a "layery" kind of guy... Never saw a sound file that couldn't be punched up with an overdub of some kind! Wavelab probably is better for just clipping tracks... hmm...

Guest Madmatt

I used Sound Forge 4.5 and Cool Edit 2000 for my (ahem) work in this genre...CoolColJ, perhaps we can talk some more off line as I am interested in seeing what you have done...

Trust me (TRUST ME wink.gif) the sounds in the beta are light-years ahead of what you hear in the demo, but i too was interested in importing some of the sfx from SPR. I espically like the sound of the bullet zipping through the air (and bodies...) in the movie.

Anyone know if sound editing for SPR got a nod at the oscars or would that be in this years? I don't follow Hollywood as such...

Madmatt out!

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

combathq.thegamers.net

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 01-17-2000).]

OK!!

Hop over to my webpage for a preview of SPR soundset!!! biggrin.gif

Enjoy! Its only 60% complete - but its like playing SPR wink.gif

Only thing is the German rifles use the same sounds as the US Carbines frown.gif

Compassion - I love Wavelab for chaining plugins in real time and the mp3 encoder works great. I don't do that much sound mutating in wavelab - good for mastering like you said.

Doug - good idea biggrin.gif Might do a ROFL soundset wink.gif

MadMAtt - drop me an email smile.gif

Not really about sound quality . Well I'm a really into sound engineering and I'm a bit of an audiophile so, I can hear thing smost people wouldn't care for! smile.gif BUt the SPR sounds really do add something extra, they have a nice ambience that studio recording can't get and it really does make you feel like your playing the movie ! smile.gif

I'm trying to find a replacement for that hull penetration sound...

------------------

------------------

CCJ

BLITZ_Force

Check out my Tweaked Textures for the CM Beta Demo! Oh Yeah - listen to my music too!

[This message has been edited by CoolColJ (edited 01-17-2000).]

Compassion - Well you either like it dark (original) or bright like mine! But I love my US infantry uniform textures and the FOW flags! They're separate from the Tweaked Textures.

Yes its amazing how different the game feels with the new sounds! Its awesome!!! I having so much fun with CM and those 3 scenarios! biggrin.gif

But I ggotta get back to finishing them off wink.gif

------------------

------------------

CCJ

BLITZ_Force

Check out my Tweaked Textures for the CM Beta Demo! Oh Yeah - listen to my music too!

Steve can step in here and correct me, but I believe the majority of the small arms are actual recorded sounds. the exception being the mg42 which he doctored from a .50 cal. Unless that has been change, I think he has fired the mg42. Anyway, just pointing out that Hollywood Sounds may have NOTHING to do with reality. However, if you prefer it, go for it, personally, I am sticking to the real sounds. personal taste in this case...

Tim

Good Idea !!! I will see if I can get some

German sounds from Stalingrad movie.

Not a bad idea...

I use sounds from CC1, The Ardennes Offensive

and where I can in every game I change the sounds to the ones I like...

Peter

Hey Col the sound file was way kool. was wondering if you would be able to take care of the explosions, ricochets, and vehicle movement as well, THe sounds of the Schwer hitting the landing craft in SPR were awesome but I'm sure you know that already wink.gif

It would be really kool if you could get the water effects for the ones hitting the river since hte explosions actually look the same the sound difference would be a big plus. I'm figuring that all explosion hits are probably using the same wav, unless we get real lucky :P HEhe maybe for some the screams could be sampled too- I could go on smile.gif Hurry up already smile.gif J/K

Can we Have an update PLEEEEEEEEEASe

------------------

SS_PanzerLeader....out

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rune:

Steve can step in here and correct me, but I believe the majority of the small arms are actual recorded sounds. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thing is that an engineer at Sprocket Sound can use any sound and put layer upon layer on it and wring it through any filter or effect until he has the exact right sound for the effect he wants. The professional engineer working on something like SPR can pretty much use whatever resources he wants. You are right that the sounds he makes might not end up being completely realistc, but he is going for an effect... If it's a deadly explosion then he's not trying to create a credible bomb sound, but somehting that will help tell the story of the explosion (I've seen explosion effects with 40-60 element including things like a child's scream and animal growls... all at levels so low that you can't register them on a consious level, but will play tricks with the most primitive fight/flight instints on an emotional level). When playing CM, I like the idea of punched up sound set. We are after all watching 1 minute movies for turn resolution and the extra thrill of a full Hollywood sound set appeals for that.

One of the cool things about this game is the way that you can tweak so many things and not damage interoperability between players and save game files.

[This message has been edited by Compassion (edited 01-18-2000).]

As Comapassion said - the atmosphere these SPR sounds add is just amazing!

SS_PL - the water explosion use the sam sound smile.gif DOn't worry, SOme vehicle sounds have been changed, all scream too, most US voices, some Mg sounds, some explosions, if it sounded better, it was changed smile.gif

Almost finished biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CoolColJ:

the atmosphere these SPR sounds add is just amazing!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I first listened to your demo and thought it was just an amalgum of sounds. When I realised that I was listeneing to a turn running, my jaw hit the floor. Did I hear machine gun sounds raking a wall in there?