Point values in attack/defense QBs - flawed?

Guest Germanboy

The defender can win if the conditions favor him.

1) Time: Does the attacker have enough time to scout out ambushes? If not then defender is favored.

2) Terrain: Does the defender enjoy fall back positions in deep woods or reverse slope? If not, then attacker is favored

3) Ammo: Attacker is favored. Given the attacker has +50% more points, they'll have 50% more ammo. This problem is amplified by an attacker who uses teams. Often I find my men running out of ammo due to enemy scouting. Low ammo as the defender is my biggest fear.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Tanaka:

I'm a bit late on this topic, but in my PBEM and some TCPIP experience, never lost a single defense game and by the contrary lost most of my attacks and assaults... For sure something is wrong with me, please care to tell me what it is wink.gif

After the 1st pts reduction in one of the patches (think it was 1.05) I've noticed that it is even more easy to win on defense...

I agree with Tanaka, it is very easy to win on defense now, especially with the reduced fortification costs. The attacker doesn't have the overwhelming numbers to take losses and keep on coming like before the change, which was winnable as the defender even then. The terrain can favour either side, that's just the way it goes, but the attack/defend ratio doesn't need to be tweaked from my experience.

Guest Germanboy

Wow - this one came back from the dead. As the one who started the topic, I would just like to say that I think the tweak that was undertaken has helped to make QBs more evenly matched. Alternatively, I have just become so much better at playing biggrin.gif. I no longer have a problem with the ratio, and I find it a lot easier to set up a successful defense.

------------------

Andreas

Der Kessel

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

I haven't played too many games, but so far I've found defending easier. Not a sophiscated defence in depth. Just sit in good cover near the VLs, wait for the attacker to show up, drop arty on him. Repeat.

On the other hand I have trouble winning when attacking. Maybe I'm a bad attacker who happens to run into other bad attackers.

Germanboy I just recently was looking for a post regarding the point balance and decided to post here instead of opening a new topic.

I play mostly TCP/IP ladder games and I noticed the fact that even after 1.1 I win almost every time on the attack, while on the defense I only win occasionally when the terrain favours me very much or when my opponent makes big mistakes.

We talked about the issue with some friends on TH chat and they all agreed that the attacker has the advantage in most cases.

It would be nice to get some stats from tourneys and ladder games as to the ratio of wins on defense and on the attack.

Excellent long post by Jason and I will definetely try out some of his ideas.

I find it very tough to use arty effectively on the defense. Most people use a recon force on the attack to scout out the line of enemy resistance then follow up quickly with an attack. Pounding the recon force with arty is a waste. The main attack usually proceeds too quickly or too dispersed to use arty against it.

I usually use another approach with my attacks: I proceed with all my force dispersed, so no matter where the enemy arty hits I suffer only moderate casualties. I only concentrate my force just after I found the main line of the enemy resistance. At this point the enemy cannot call down his remaining arty without endangering his own troops.

For those of you who have trouble attacking, just one advice: use just one flank and attack there with everything you have. Choose not the best approach, but the most unlikely approach.

Just a few examples:

1. I recently played against the AI. I underestimated "him" greatly and lost 80% of my armor in the first few turns. Then he pounded my concentrated infantry with mortar fire. Still, I pushed and won the game.

2. In a recent game against a human opponent I lost 2 hetzers early on. I lost a whole platoon trying to kill the lone enemy Firefly, so I can bring up my support armored cars and one Wespe. I won this game too without problems.

I think the attacker can afford to loose a lot and still win, and this is not right.

In any case I would love to hear more opinions about the point balance. I think it still favours the attacker.