To BTS regarding the Unit Info Bar "facials".......

In light of the whirlwind response between you guys in making tweaks to get 1.01 ready for CM's release, this is going to seem like a very trivial query.

Regardless.......

I got a post from an e-mail friend who's fence-straddling on the CM order. Last year, he wasn't very interested, but from my private e-mail commentaries on CM, he's had a recent turnaround. But there is one graphics element that is bothering him.

This regards the "facials" in the lower screen unit information bar. He feels that the Germans look pretty good, but that some of the US ones are comparably amateurish. His added comment was that the "citizen soldier" look for the US MIGHT be over-applied, with all US infantry units as unshaven slouchs and all officers looking like "90-day wonders." It's likely your intended effect, though.

From my own personal view, I think that my friend has a point, and I don't care too much for the US "facials" in the info bar either, but I don't personally pay it much mind now either. (You're probably well acquainted, Steve, with my earlier diatribes on the uniform textures. wink.gif ) ANYWAY....to sound not too disparaging, my friend wonders if it's planned in the future to have alternate "facials" at least for the US forces, or to have multiple facials for each unit type. That can have potential confusion, of course, but in my recent play, I always read the unit type by its title. I never use the "facial" alone for guidance.

Thanks for any response,

Ed

If I remember right, those 'facials' are actual pictures colorized for CM's purposes.

I don't use the 'facials' for guidance, either. But there isn't anything preventing you or anyone else from modifying the pics to your hearts content.

Jason

------------------

Betas available to everyone are just publicity stunts anyways. -FK

I will iterate again that this is not a real issue to me, ALTHOUGH it would be nice to see multiple facials per unit type for the immersion effect (not unlike for the leaders of the "Campaign Series" or HPS "Panzer Campaigns" games).

Babra, the facials on the unit bar don't affect my direct gameplay either. But this friend of mine brought it up as a personal issue to him. So I told him that I would query BTS on the matter, on the past basis that Steve & Charles are pretty responsive here. (Maybe I coulda done so on private e-mail, but Steve seems kinda snowed over with that too.) Whatever my feelings on the game, though, I'm steering away from judging my friend on what he should or shouldn't consider to be a game purchase issue. It's ultimately his decision to make.

Ed

Guest Big Time Software

Well, this is one of those classic "where best to spend our time" situations. We could have had a hundred different heads, all looking damned cool, but lots of other things would suffer. Obviously in theory this is exactly what we would like to have been the case. But Theory and Reality very often have a bloody fight when Time is the core issue. Since the odds are almost always in favor of Reality, it isn't hard to see why Theory usually gets the snot beat out of it sometimes smile.gif

The best head shots took about 8 man hours to do. There are something like 120 unique infnatry types for all sides. The math for doing unique heads for even a fraction of this number (not including vehilces, which numbers another 125 or so) is staggering from a time point of view.

What we are hoping is that people will make up their own heads for use in the game (it is only a BMP or PICT so anybody can do this). Then we could have some sort of contest and release a patch that would support them. But there are plenty more things that add to immersion and/or game play that are easier and/or more important to tackle first, so I don't expect us to be generating the heads ourselves.

Steve