range

Guest Big Time Software

You still have yet to convince me WHY you need this smile.gif I understand the HOW you are suggesting, but still not the WHY. To have anything put into CM version whatever there has to be a very compelling answer to the WHY before we even look at the HOW. As Moon said... nobody testing the game for the last 8 months has felt the need for this function. Having played CM for longer than anyone else, I also don't understand the need. So far you have only said that you don't need to know the exact distance, which is exactly my point smile.gif

Let me make sure I understand your HOW at least. If you are suggesting that once you click on a friendly unit that the cursor suddenly becomes a range indicator, I can tell you with absolute certainty that that will never happen. It isn't good user interface, and so that is out right away. If you are saying that when you click on a friendly unit that LOS should be calculated and displayed (like Steel Panthers) I'd suggest doing a Search on this topic. Short of it is there is no way a contemporary CPU can handle this calculation load. If you are suggesting that when you have a movement order selected that a meter count be displayed by the cursor, that is actually the only thing we might do in the future. However, it was the idea I used in my test example above, so it doesn't rank as very important.

It all comes down to the WHY. Every person is going to have a slightly different play style than the next. It is impossible for us to cater to all playing styles. We must be careful what goes in and what doesn't, because too many cooks (features) spoils the soup (game). So far I still haven't heard WHY this is important, especially because myself and the other testers (Moon in particular in this thread) can kick serious booty without doing battle with the interface in order to achieve it. Personally, I almost always use the LOS tool only to identify targets, not ranges.

Steve