BTS: Consider licensing?

BTS,

Don't think this question has been asked before, but if it has, apologies in advance.

But would you consider licensing the CM engine to a third party so that they could develop a version of CM for modern battles, since apparently you guys are tied up with CM2 and the eastern front etc?

I realize the engine would have to be substantially modified to accomodate longer weapon ranges, etc.

Thanks

Maybe a 3rd party could also port it to Linux, like Myth 2 was.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CommanderC:

Don't think this question has been asked before... But would you consider licensing the CM engine to a third party so that they could develop a version of CM for modern battles...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

...and Korea and the PTO and WWI and the Crimea and the Franco-Prussian War and the Russo-Japanese War and...

Yeah, it has been asked before. I think BTS needs to finish their own run before opening the engine up, though I can't speak for them. The demands for custom support would seriously distract their own efforts on the CM series... AND WE WOULDN'T WANT THAT. Would we? biggrin.gif

I -think- they have mentioned that they don't intend to licence it out since it's their engine and will keep their games distinctive.

However, I don't think anyone has presented a serious proposal to them, (well, not that we'd ever know), so I don't know how fixed they are. I mean, if someone came up with a lucrative deal for them, and the game that was going to be made targetted a space which wouldn't compete with the CM series or BTS's future plans, I reckon they should go for it.

Ideally a developer would want to sign on for the next CM engine development, since if a game takes say 18 months to develop, assume 6 months putting **** together, and a by then some inroads on CM2 would have been made.. and an engine ready before the licenced game was due.. or something.

Myself, I think that there's a huge untapped Games Workshop licence out there. The fans are already very used to turn-based games, and there hasn't been anything that 'convincing' from the other line of GW sping off games, (although I liked the warhammer series myself). I could definately see a good 40k conversion, and other squad based games GW makes could be done too.

Think that licence is a bit tied up with SSI tho? And GW are total business fascists. Anyway, I ramble. I think if you seriously want to know, you'd have to put a serious proposal to them in private

PeterNZ

I think BTS already has the market for the kind of games which you could base on the CM engine. In other words, if you licensed the CM engine, you would be selling your product mainly to CM fans. I don't think many companies would regard this as commercially viable (and remember that BTS exists through shunning most people's ideas of commercial viability). The only people likely to want to do a total conversion are fans, and I'm not sure a motley group of fans would make a good enough job of it.

David

------------------

...the pilot was able to circle and make a safe belly landing. According to O'Neal, 'this guy jumped out and ran up to me, shouting, "Give me a gun, quick! I know right where that Kraut s.o.b. is and I'm gonna get him".'

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Aitken:

In other words, if you licensed the CM engine, you would be selling your product mainly to CM fans. I don't think many companies would regard this as commercially viable (and remember that BTS exists through shunning most people's ideas of commercial viability). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just thought I'd toss this out for information sake. It looks like CM's engine has gotten A LOT of notice in other companies, and may even be reshaping the wargamming field.

In the upcomming Nov edition of PC GAMER (yeah, I read it..please no flames) Jeff Lapkoff, an independent maker of medival combat games notes,

"Games like Combat Mission probably represent the tip of the iceberg for future wargamming, from a production standpoint. Almost anything that a major publisher will even consider has to have some element of 3D. It's what the market demands. Up to now though only the majors could give you real 3D. Combat Mission proves that an indie company can do that as well."

I'm not sure if I believe this or not, I'd certainly like to though. I hopethat BTS is not the target for ALL wargame developers. I think I'll post this quote on it's own thread to let the board have some discussion on it.

------------------

"Do not needlessly endanger your lives until I give you the signal"

Dwight D. Eisenhower

I also disagree with David.

If you made a game with a CM engine, (or modified version) targeted at a wide fan base I think the publishers would be fighting over getting the rights.

Take the 40k universe, which is suited perfectly to CM in my mind. If you mde a full-on 40k game, did the whole turnbased thing etc etc, I'm sure it would get attention, that game has A LOT of fans.

PeterNZ

The thing with CM compared to the likes of 40k, is that the heart of CM is statistics and information. It's essentially a simulator, not a game. It has all the armour plating and weapon effectiveness specifications, and it represents them with a nice 3D engine – but as many people have pointed out, CM doesn't please the average gamer.

It's visually impressive, for sure, but it doesn't have the kind of graphical realism you'd need to attract a wider audience. It's basically for people who want to know that their Panther G was taken out by a Stuart for realistic reasons, not because the game programmers thought it would be cool.

CM certainly leads where others should follow, but I'm not sure the CM engine is the starting point they'd want to use.

David

------------------

...the pilot was able to circle and make a safe belly landing. According to O'Neal, 'this guy jumped out and ran up to me, shouting, "Give me a gun, quick! I know right where that Kraut s.o.b. is and I'm gonna get him".'

Look at that, yet ANOTHER person disagreeing with David!

*ahem*

Not visually impressive? Ok, so maybe it's a tiny bit rough round the edges. But look what the modders done to this game! It's a masterpiece now! I can easily compare it to any other strategy war game, and conclude it looks a heck of a lot better.

And on your 40k comment...

Who says they cannot make up "realistic" combat variables? Did you ever look at a rule book for 40k or the Fantasy Warhammer series? It's PACKED with info. Those guys have excellent imaginations, and I do not doubt for even a second that they could do this stuff and more.

Besides, furnish the engine a bit with some "3d sparkles" to make it a bit more attractive, and every kid on the block would want a copy. At least I would if I was every kid on the block wink.gif .

Look, CM has magnificent potential. Arguing that it cannot work because other people are not "suited" for realising it is not a valid argument. It's insane.

Arguing that it cannot work because BTS wants to keep this masterpiece for themselves is a whole other story.

------------------

"...Every position, every meter of Soviet soil must be defended to the last drop of blood..."

- Segment from Order 227 "Not a step back"

It's a shame they are not selling CM in the stores. They are loosing so much potential profits. Added costs would recover 100 times.

Or at least sell it on well-known sites like Amazon. I was very lucky to ACCIDENTLY find out about this game. But what about other gamers !

Guest MajorH

The only people who are losing potential profits are distributors and retailers.

Battlefront is doing just fine without all those extra hands skiming from the register smile.gif.

I have to say the cm engine can be a great start for a WH 40K, it gets the whole idea of the game better than the crap ssi has fed to us in the past useing the xcom engine. (ohh 3d, 2 boxes up and to the right) true gamers look for play not eye candy.

The Commissar wrote:

> Arguing that it cannot work because other people are not "suited" for realising it is not a valid argument.

How dare you disagree with me! DIE!!

> It's insane.

Oh no! My cover has been blown! [retreats into the shadows]

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Aitken:

The Commissar wrote:

> Arguing that it cannot work because other people are not "suited" for realising it is not a valid argument.

How dare you disagree with me! DIE!!

> It's insane.

Oh no! My cover has been blown! [retreats into the shadows]

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uhh...ok.

In the words of "Dr. Evil" from the film Austin Powers,

"Riiiight..."

wink.gif

[This message has been edited by The Commissar (edited 10-03-2000).]