Incoming...

Hard to guess the likely outcome of this...

"Daily Radar", a reasonably popular Internet gaming site, has reviwed CM and found it as wonderous as most of us here, giving it the coveted (or not) "Direct Hit" rating...I am of two minds:

1: BTS, batten down the hatches for another hard run at the warehouse and lotsa new posts here from people asking if you're planning on implementing RT play.

2: This will be another award to cram into the trophy case on the CMHQ and largely lost on the l33t doOdz whose greatly increased caffeine thresholds will not tolerate the more languid pace of the greatest computer wargame ever greated. The trite remark in re: e-mail play suggests as much. Only those without imaginations let the appearance of a new turn in their email inbox pass without a little...awwwright!

And, in conclusion, MAKE WITH THE TCP/IP...please...

Regards,

Cyrano

------------------

"Watching others make friends, as a dog makes friends. I mark the manner of these canine courtesies and say, 'Thank God, here comes another enemy'" -- Rostand

I actually thought that the PBEM comments in the article were fair.

I think that, for the vast majority of gamers, PBEM would be painfully slow. For me, it's perfect, but for the mainstream, those comments laid out the pertinent information, ie - no network play, multiplayer limited to PBEM, which is slow-paced.

I'm just glad that so many gaming sites keep kicking up their heels and singing the praises smile.gif

Also keep in mind that this is actually the third piece that DailyRadar's done on CM - a review when the game initially came out, an article about the same time, and now this.

Good stuff.

------------------

Soy super bien, soy super super bien, soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super.

I agree it's a good review, but comparing PBEM to watching paint dry is a bit much. I mean, it's a turn-based game... having a "live" opponent isn't that more exciting than playing PBEM.

Granted, the we-go system is perfect for TCP/IP, but imagine playing someone who's very methodical, or has more to do on their turn than yours (a big issue on attack/defend games). You'll be sitting there, presumably looking at some "Waiting for other player" screen after hitting the Go button... beyond the convenience of not sending emails back and forth I don't think the excitement factor is going to be all that much better.

------------------

“Thus, the M4A3E8(76)W designation meant a tank with an official Mortality of 4 minutes, Actually 3 minutes, cost Extra, and had a 76% chance of going WHOOSH." - Bullethead

[This message has been edited by Daveman (edited 10-13-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Daveman:

...but imagine playing someone who's very methodical, or has more to do on their turn than yours (a big issue on attack/defend games). You'll be sitting there, presumably looking at some "Waiting for other player" screen after hitting the Go button...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It has been suggested that either time limits per turn are set beforehand, or even better, once a player hits go, the other has just a few more minutes to wrap-up, or the game will continue automatically.

I think this solution fixes the problem you're referring to. Even if it doesn't, IMO people will stop playing with much slower or faster people and start building their own list of preferred opponents.

Regards

------------------

My squads are regular, must be the fibre in the musli...

I must agree with Daveman.

Having played, erm, LOTS of games against the AI and a handful of hotseats (multi-command Hotseaters are really cool, BTW) I just started my first email game. I REALLY enjoy coming home after work and seeing a nice, shiny bag of smashmouth armor-banging from my partner in warfare. I LIKE knowing he (probably smile.gif) took his time plotting the move. I like the pacing. Sure, it's not for everyone, and I WILL be playing CM on my home LAN but the Daily Radar remark just struck me as, to borrow Daveman's coinage, a bit much.

Ah, CM...

Regards,

Cyrano

------------------

"Watching others make friends, as a dog makes friends. I mark the manner of these canine courtesies and say, 'Thank God, here comes another enemy'" -- Rostand