Very O/T: the Riesing SMG

Does anyone have any information on the Riesing submachine gun? My greatuncle, a former marine in the pacific, says he carried one, and it was the "worst jamming gun he ever saw." I have been unable to find any information on this weapon. Is it just another name for the Grease Gun? Was it used in the ETO?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Does anyone have any information on the Riesing submachine gun? My greatuncle, a former marine in the pacific, says he carried one, and it was the "worst jamming gun he ever saw." I have been unable to find any information on this weapon. Is it just another name for the Grease Gun? Was it used in the ETO?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Riesing was not the Grease Gun. It was the worst POS that was ever pawned off on the Marines. The Marines were the only ones to use it, and they ditched it as soon as possible.

Yeah, I have a book that lists tons of WWII weaponry and it includes the Reising SMG.

It had a metal stock very like the M3 Grease Gun but the main body of the weapon was made of wood, like a carbine. It had a very unusual cocking mechanism that required sticking your finger into a slot underneath the weapon. As was mentioned earlier in the post, it jammed frequently and was an extremely unpopular weapon. Email me if you want a picture.

Reising remained quite popular with law enforcement until well after the war. It was really a very well-made weapon (by Harrington & Richardson) but did not do well in WWII combat conditions.

There were lots of parts and it was very susceptible to dirt. Right answer to the wrong question, I guess. It was much more accurate than the M3... but the M3 usually went off when you told it to.