English - NOT

Sergei - I don't speak German. I'm Afrikaans speaking which has germanic roots. But I'm trying to teach my kids (5 & 7 years old) english and I tell you - german must be easier. English is a hideously illogical language - Yea I know it's because of it's age, but it might not have been so bad to have any other language ruling the world. And knowing the germans, their language are bound to be a lot more logical and structured. Both Afrikaans and German also have a lot of beautifull "Aaargh" sounds wink.gif

Ag Jammer (Oh Sorry!) This should've gone under "CM gets another reward" frown.gif

[This message has been edited by Johan Brittz (edited 07-04-2000).]

Guest Michael emrys

Actually, the biggest problem with English and its complex (and often inconsistent) structure is not due to its age, which is not great compared to other languages, but due to the fact that it has been so open to accept words and phrases from other languages. It is a world language in more than one sense of the term. French, I am told, is much more rational and consistent, but if the Academy has its way and rejects all foreign intrusions, it will be well on its way to becoming a dead language.

Michael

English is actually a broad marriage between Germanic type languages, French and Latin all mixed togeether over the centuries.

The Germanic and the Latinate languages, in particular, run in parallel and can be seen in everyday use. Words that are multi-syllabic are generally of Latin descent and the sharper, single syllable words, are of Germanic origin. These run in parallel and thus there are often two words with the same meaning, one Germanic and one Latinate.

For example residence and house, one latin one germanic. There are many others and it is this duality that makes english one of the most colourful languages around. ( And it does not have the added complexity of Feminine, Maculine and Neuter so common in other European languages)

------------------

Only the enemy in front, every other bugger behind.

- unofficial motto of the British Infantry Reconnaissance Corps, W.W.II