legion of st george

does anyone know of any info on the legion of st george, Ive read that it was an SS regiment using a few british and canadian prisoners who defected to the germans. i have heard and read a few accounts of them fighting at the fall of berlin, is this fiction or is it true as i know the SS used many troops from scandanavia and the low countries.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Beau:

does anyone know of any info on the legion of st george, Ive read that it was an SS regiment using a few british and canadian prisoners who defected to the germans. i have heard and read a few accounts of them fighting at the fall of berlin, is this fiction or is it true as i know the SS used many troops from scandanavia and the low countries.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, there was such a legion, but my understanding is that it wasn't even platoon size, and consisted only of those with strong anti-communist views, rather than pro-nazi.

I believe they spent the majority of their time travelling from POW to POW camp just trying to make up numbers.

Mace

btw, I think there's reference to it in one of my books on the Waffen SS - If you like, I can post the book title and page no.

The son of one of Churchill's cabinet members (Damned if I can remember his name) was recruited into the Division (which peaked at a huge 63 members). Apparently most of them were severe shell-shock victims, ex-black shirts and men who wanted a way out of the POW camps.

The Division was never really expected to form an actual combat unit and was more of a propaganda tool although some of the more 'believing' members (those who followed Moseley during the 30s) were involved in the defence of Berlin against the Russians.

After the war the surviving British SS members were jailed or hospitalised depending on their mental state. The Cabinet member's son, being a higher profile figure who really should've known better was hanged for treason.

I wish I could remember his name...

------------------

All the world's problems are caused by people who take themselves too seriously.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Formerly Babra:

Better it be forgotten.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe you're right although I think the past does need to be remembered so we don't get too complacent about the future.

Besides that it bloody annoys me when I can't remember stuff that I could a few years ago. frown.gif

------------------

All the world's problems are caused by people who take themselves too seriously.

• 2 weeks later...

aha...found it!

Page 96 : Hell on the Eastern Front: the Waffen SS War in Russia 1941-45

The Britische Friekorps had a total manpower of 58.

It was formed after a suggestion by POW John Emery, eldest son of Leo Emery, Minister for India on Churchill's cabinet.

The unit was trained as Assault Engineers, and attached to the Waffen SS Nordland Division, where it saw no action what so ever, due to concerns about their fighting quality!

it is unclear whether John Emery muttered the immortal line 'Doh'!, at wars end wink.gif

Mace