One week in....

OK, yesterday I finaly got to spend some serious time with CM for the 1st time in the week I have had it - 4 quick battles and a scenario: Pegasus Bridge, and I would like to share my impressions, if I may.

The game is more damned fun than any other game I have played since Heroes of Might and Magic 2. It fairly oozes good times, and the replayablilty is outstanding. It's just COOL. The joy of seeing 2 500lb bombs take out that King Tiger that was menacing my Pershings is unbelievable. The fun of "riding along" with my T-8 on a fast recon, or my M-10 as it suprises a Stugg at 90 degrees...man, just a blast!

The realism is also incredible. The 1st time I saw a round from my m5a1 go careening off and explode in the trees I was almost flabbergasted. Stuff like that. I am not knowledgeable enough to get into the minutae, but it all feels right.

I find that I play a lot of Armor vs. Armor attacks on large maps with around 1250 or so points, I like to buy my own units and I love the GA planes. My prefered side are the American Army, with 2 M5A1s and 2 Pershings, supported by the odd M4A1 (105) and T-8 scout cars, 2-3 rifle platoons in a baseball formation, and whatever support I can afford. The baseball formation always seems to give me the most options in any situation without losing an HQ or mortar unit. I nearly always end up with one squad free to maneuver.

I haven't tried a PBEM yet, but I am slowly working up the courage to do so. And the time, which is a bigger concern.

I especially love, during setup, to "fly around" the map at 1, 4, and 7 to get the feel of the terrain and avenues. Setup went from being kind of a drag to being one of my favorite parts of the game. I spent almost 45 minutes setting up once or twice!

As far as things I would like to see in the game, I would really like some sort of a unit list with the capability to "find" a unit. How many MGs were sitting in a copse out of the action because I didn't see them or remember to hit the plus and minus keys? Well, several LOL. Honestly, that is my only real wish. There are plenty of units I haven't tried yet, plenty of tactics, plenty of options...maybe just a little HQ screen to help keep track of things. Maybe I will have more ideas in the future - one week isn't a lot of time.

I just wanted to say this and allow any of you to comment and stuff - especially newbies like me. I appreciate all the help you folks have given and look forward to reading your thoughts. Thanks