Mac Voodoo 3 -- help! --

I've searched all the old posts and have found nothing posted about anyone successfully running the full released version on a Mac, using a Voodoo 3 card, and getting hardware rendering.

I just tried it for the first time and got some old, familiar results. If I enable Mac 3dfx RAVE extension, I get black screen after "3-D Graphics Loading" message. If I disable that extension, CM will display just fine, but it looks like the old chunky software-rendered graphics I've been seeing for months now on my PowerBook. Certainly no smoke transparancy. (Is Voodoo one of the cards that doesn't do transparancy?)

Am I doing something wrong? Am I receiving the benefits of hardware rendering, but am mistaking it for software-rendering? How can I tell, if all I've ever seen is software-rendering? What should I be looking for, other than sheer frame rate?

Mac Voodoo drivers are beta 12, which I believe to be the latest. I believe I have the latest sprockets from Apple -- v 1.7.4. Card is PCI Voodoo 3 3000. System is PowerMac 8500/120 with a G3 350mHz accelerator card.

Sorry to bring this up again, but I had hoped the earlier problems with Macs and Voodoo 3 had been sufficiently fixed so that a simpleton such as myself could be so astounded by the new, improved graphics that my socks would fall down in delight and wonder. Socks, sad to say, are still up.

Anybody out there doing better than I? If so, how?

Lt. Kije

I'm not sure about Voodoo 3's on the Mac, but the cards based on Voodoo 1&2's will not perform hardware rendering for CM. Apparently there were too many problems with the RAVE extension that 3dfx makes. This is possibly true for the Voodoo 3. BTS has disabled (to my knowledge) the ability to use the Voodoos on the Mac.

It has been hinted on this board that BTS is talking to some 3dfx engineers about their RAVE extensions. So it is possible that your hardware may work in the future (a patch from CM and an updated RAVE extension from 3dfx). However that may be a long time in coming (if at all). So if you have the money and a Mac that can take one... you may want to purchase a video card based on an ATI chipset for the Mac (this is what Apple uses for it's built-in video).

Here is a post from the CM Tech Support forum concerning using a Voodoo 3. I'm not sure if they are getting hardware-based rendering or not, but downloading the older version of the RAVE extension may help:

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum8/HTML/000190.html

[This message has been edited by Schrullenhaft (edited 07-05-2000).]

Here's the deal. The RAVE driver that comes with the b12 Voodoo3 set was designed to run Bugdom and Nanosaur, and not much else.

Development has continued. The RAVE driver that comes with the Voodoo5 will have full support for CM. Later, it will be retrofitted to support the Voodoo3 and will probably be part of the b13 release.