New Beta scenario

Just had an idea to keep CE alive - Axis must advance to their far Western flank - touch a point exactly halfway along the Western map border before they may join the fight. The same for the US: touch a point exactly halfway along their Western map border. In other words: swing the axis of attack from North-South to East-West. Should provide some variation in tactics and be (nearly) as good as having a new map?

Anyone see any problems with it? If not - enjoy :)

PS - you beter make sure you run back and protect your reserves entry point. Maybe the reserves are free from this restriction? WTH - one game they are - one game they're not.. lots of time to try them all?

[This message has been edited by Johan Brittz (edited 02-20-2000).]

Heh, that's actually what happened in my current PBEM game of CE. Not on purpose, but my opponent and I choose opposite flanks as our many axis' of advance. As the battle progressed, he swung around to the US starting edge, and I've made it to the German starting edge. It's be an interesting fight :P

Guest Captain Foobar

Jeff, Johan,

Please post the outcome in this thread, I want to know if it provides a balanced contest. Good thinking, guys!

Ok the halfway point is difficult to establish. If you look at the map you'll notice that the east-west road has various bends and the first kink if you enter from either the east or the west seems to be the same distance from the map edge. So, instead of a halway point (which would've caused a hell of a pile-up) - the Germans must cross or just touch the road anywhere between the mapedge and the 1st kink and the same for the US on their side. Thereafter they can do what the hell they want.

Been doing my setup for my 1st PBEM and it looks good - totally new access routes/cover/hull down positions etc. Only problem might be if too many tanks get bogged down. Does anyone know of a reasonably safe way to travel: Slow/Hunt/fast - what is the best?