rounds available.. or officers with

magnesium flareguns.. am i missing a

command or was this not included in the

game??

stalingrd

(watching the blue angels buzz

downtown seattle right now-- yes!)

------------------

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster. SUN TZU

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rattus:

What! no illumination - that means I'll have no use for my Matilda and Grant CDL tanks!

Seriously - some representation of IR rounds etc would be visually stunning! How about it BTS?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heh. That would require some dynamic lighting. smile.gif Oh that's another thread.

Hi guys,

A search turned up this bit from long ago: Doing a search on "illumination" brings up this thread and several others...

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/000187.html

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/004915.html

Hope it helps...

Peng

------------------

A Journey of a thousand miles starts with a single gunshot wound to the foot.

[This message has been edited by MrPeng (edited 08-04-2000).]

Of course dont get me wrong this is

the greatest wargame ever! but hopefully

maybe a patch down the line will help out

with that aspect of nightfighting. its

frustrating haviing to place mortar teams..

LOS is only established when the team is

too close to the target to fire it seems..

Illumination really helps in rooting out

those pesky dug in germans...

It's not shadows that are the problem - I mean, they would be the queen of all bitches to model, but you wouldn't bother trying. The problem is dynamically increasing visibility to simulate the effect of a flare. You could probably increase the visiblity over the whole map, but doing this in a small area would be nigh-on impossible.

Okay, you fire a flare - but even if your mortar is able to make out his target, will he see enough to be able to hit it? Once the flare dies, how does he know he's still hitting his target? And what happens if the target moves? Doesn't seem worth it to me. Mortars are useless and night - live with it.

David

Seems to me there are ways to simulate the effects of illume rounds without having to deal with dynamic lighting. Personally, having come to CM from PITS, I think CM's graphics are fine as is so don't need the frills if the effects are right.

So how about something like this? You order an illume mission and the mortar keeps firing illumes to keep the light going constantly. You fire the illumes at a point on the map. At this point appears some TRP-looking marker visible to both sides that only lasts as long as the illumes burn. Then within a certain radius of this marker, an LOS exists, subject to all the usual LOS problems plus other penalties for being an illume. So between you and the illume's area would be like dead ground due to a terrain fold--you can't see into it, but you can see beyond it.

Of course, doing this would make for a huge increase in the number of LOS checks needed during the execution of a turn. Perhaps too many for current top-end hardware? I have no way of knowing.

Assuming this is possible, it would also require allowing mortars to fire blind anywhere on the map. Which would be cool for other weapons as well, such as the much-discussed MGs doing FDF into smokescreens.

------------------

-Bullethead

It was a common custom at that time, in the more romantic females, to see their soldier husbands and sweethearts as Greek heroes, instead of the whoremongering, drunken clowns most of them were. However, the Greek heroes were probably no better, so it was not so far off the mark--Flashman