Are Operations cool?

Check6

Operations are almost exactly like long battles, but they have intermissions during them when you can re-deploy after gaining or loosing ground. Also, weather and time of day can change.

They're not as great as I had hoped, and don't really give you a sense of a prolonged battle beyond the same feeling you'd get with a long single scenario that has periodic reinforcements.

They're still pretty fun, but I tend to do scenarios mostly, whereas with other wargames with real campaigns(however realistic or unrealistic the concept is), I tend to just do campaigns.

There's already at least on psudo-operation out there(by Patrick Ware(hoping I spelled it right offhand)) that allows you to play six scenarios that are all part of the same battle. You fight one, then load the next, etc. It allows him to give briefings as to what's going on in the battle, and gives a real sense of a continual struggle. Otherwise, some of the longer scenarios are nice, when they have reinforcements from both sides appear after most normal scenarios would have had the battle wind down.

Guest KwazyDog

Check, I pretty much only play operations as Ive personally found them a LOT of fun and much more intense wink.gif

Matt and I have been playing one for some time now, and the battlefield is littered with destroyed buildings and knocked out tanks. Check the no mans land setting before you play an op though, to be honest I wouldnt recomend over 80m for this setting in general.

Guest Mirage2k

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Los:

They're really cool. In fact, chicks dig guys that play CM operations.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL. That reminds me of one of my friend's T-shirts: "Chicks dig Unix." smile.gif

(Hint: say it out loud, and think alternate spellings.)

-Andrew

------------------

VOTE BLAH FOR PRESIDENT!

Throw me a frickin' smiley, people!

Your one-stop-shop for gaming news is www.SiegersPost.com ! Hit it!

BLAH IN 2000!

What I like about the Ops most is the sense that if you lose your favorite toy in the first battle, you're really screwed. Imagine an Ardennes op, you're defending as US, there's panzers everywhere, and the mortars start falling on your last AT gun midway through battle one. Really makes you think twice before moving and/or shooting.

I've found myself getting _really_ attached to units in ops, like the M-10 crew in **Snip** who killed a whole bunch of ***Snip*** or the airborne squad in ***Snip*** who finally took out the rampaging ***SNIP!!!*** with a Gammon bomb.

The no-man's land needs to be checked like KwazyDog says. I hope that the recalculation of front lines continues to evolve with further releases, since it can be frustrating.

Long and large scenarios can have some of the same tension, too, if they're done right.