Bug?: Vehicles Ignore Hide Command After Movement

This is something that has been bothering me for months, but I'm just now getting around to posting about it (I'm amazed someone hasn't beat me to it).

When you give a vehicle a hide order at the end of it's movement it simply ignores it. It won't hide. You have to wait until the next orders phase to hide it.

Not a huge deal, but it's an annoying little bug that ought to be squashed at long last.

------------------

You mean my Java coded Real Time Bar Fight Simulator Madmatt Mission: Beyond BiteMe ISN'T going to be published?!?

Madmatt

When to use it?

Ambush with limited LOS, I guess.

When I've tried it in situations with better LOS, the enemy seems to spot my ambusher anyway. When the enemy start shooting the hiding vehicle won't respond very fast. frown.gif

I suppose it will work better with darkness and fog, where sounds are more dominant than vision.

Cheers

Olle

I think is says in the manual that hiding vehicles idle their engines low, which I presume would decrease the chance of a sound contact. I have no idea if it makes them harder to spot visually, but every little bit helps.

------------------

You mean my Java coded Real Time Bar Fight Simulator Madmatt Mission: Beyond BiteMe ISN'T going to be published?!?

Madmatt

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Olle Petersson:

When to use it?

Ambush with limited LOS, I guess.

When I've tried it in situations with better LOS, the enemy seems to spot my ambusher anyway. When the enemy start shooting the hiding vehicle won't respond very fast. frown.gif

I suppose it will work better with darkness and fog, where sounds are more dominant than vision.

Cheers

Olle<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you have never played a QB double blind at night in the FOG you should try it.

It is VERY nerve wracking and you WILL want to hide your vehicles to keep them from given away sound contact info...

you WILL also want to MOVE all of them all at the same time to confuse the enemy

Try it.....

seriously a tank or mechanized encounter in the dark in the FOG is is a real treat, radically different tactics are required to both attack and defend.

I played a TCP/IP QB last night with Jarhead and it was in the fog at night and visibility was about 25 - 35 meters and that was IT!

tanks and vehicles show up as unidentified grey shapes until they practically run you over.

It was wild.

Anyway when it comes to hiding vehicles it make sense at night or in the fog or in the fog at night.

-tom w

P.S. AAR I lost again frown.gif I was the Germans and on the attack and the U.S. defender earned a VERY minor vitory. bah!

(in the dark he snuck up on a hiding Panther with a zook team and wasted it at close range.

I never saw them coming and I had NO idea what whacked my Panther until after the game.)

[This message has been edited by aka_tom_w (edited 12-07-2000).]

I just tried it with a battalion HQ, a company HQ and a platoon HQ and they all hid fine. As far as I can tell it's only vehicles that have the problem.

------------------

Madmatt

Alright, I'll allow myself one shameless bump, and then I'll have to wait until the next patch to see if anyone from BTS saw it.

------------------

Madmatt

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vanir:

Alright, I'll allow myself one shameless bump, and then I'll have to wait until the next patch to see if anyone from BTS saw it.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've noticed the same problem in the beta. Haven't bothered to go back and check any of the older versions.

Ok, the patch is out and it's still not fixed. Seriously, this bug has been present for as long as I've owned the game (1.03). The fact that it's hung on so long must mean I am one of the very few people that gives hide orders to tanks.

------------------

Madmatt

Guest Madmatt

I don't think its a bug as such but I can see where it is a little confusing due to how the orders let you do it. IIRC, Hide for vehicles is meant to be issued at the begining of a turn (just like pause) this makes them become VERY choosey about targets and also set their engines to IDLE.

I will mention this to Charles and see if there is something we can do to make it a little clearer or make sure it isn't a bug.

Madmatt

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 12-17-2000).]

Guest Madmatt

Ok, just heard from Charles.

To reduce confusion about Hiding for vehicles, it will be allowed to be given vehicles as the first order only. Just like a Pause command.

Tiger, I have tested HQ's and they always hide as ordered. Do you have a save game with HQ's not Hiding when given the order?

Madmatt

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 12-18-2000).]

Thanx Matt. I still don't see why it has to be different from infantry. It is very convenient to just give the hide order at the end of the movement. That way I don't have to remember to go do it next turn. It's easy to forget if you have a lot of vehicles.

[This message has been edited by Vanir (edited 12-18-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vanir:

Thanx Matt. I still don't see why it has to be different from infantry. It is very convenient to just give the hide order at the end of the movement. That way I don't have to remember to go do it next turn. It's easy to forget if you have a lot of vehicles.

[This message has been edited by Vanir (edited 12-18-2000).]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The logic on this one (from Charles perspective) if I may speculate, DOES make sense....

The advantage that "Hide" grants to vehicles is that their engines are quieter, so they don't cause sound contacts, NOW if the vehicle has moved for part of a 1 minute turn, Hide does not make sense, as the enemy may have already heard the sound contact, I agree that if a vehicle has moved in the turn it cannot END its turn with a hide order, because the noise of moving and the engine may have already alerted the enemy to a sound contact.

This makes sense to me and I think because we are talking about idling the engine, if a vehicle that has already made the noise, it is different then just simply issuing a Hide order to infantry at the end of the turn, they don't make so much noise and can more easily just lie down and slip into thick cover and under brush, vehicles on the other hand can only idle their engines.

This one makes sense to me, you can't hide a vehicle at the end of its turn if it moved, because the noise of it moving has ALREADY given away its location. Correct?

-tom w

Perhaps, but the game could transfer the Hide order to the beginning of the next turn after movement has completed, just as it transfers movement orders between turns.

This kind of thing that should be automated IMO. Why not use the computer - it's sitting there anyway - it would allow me to enjoy the game more.

Sorry for the long delay Matt. I think I know why my HQs are not hiding like they should.

If the unit is already hiding and you give it a crawl or move command, it will have the move with the previous hide command still tacked on. If you click stop hiding then realize it took the hide off (naturally) and re-click hide (and it says move & hide again), when the unit completes its move it will NOT hide. I think tanks are doing thius as well?

I'm not sure if not turning hide command on-off and just leaving it will work like it should --- probably does I reckon.

-john