CM Immersion and other things

I've been playing CM solo ever since the demo was released in hopes of learning my way around so that when I jump into PBEM or TCP/IP gaming, I won't embarrass myself too much. wink.gif

One of the things that continues to facinate me with CM is the level of immersion that I experience when I play the game. A prime example occurred today when I was playing Riesburg as the Americans. One of my Shermans had just moved out of cover to provide fire support for my infantry advance when a hidden 88 opened up on me from the flank. Startled, I immediately started yelling, "Back-up, back-up, back-up, smoke, back-up, smoke!" The tactical A/I must have been listening, because that it exactly what the tank did - it backed up and popped smoke.

The point that I'm trying to make is that I felt, if only for a moment, as if it were my tank that was taking fire, and as if it were my platoon that was advancing towards the enemy. Combat Mission, for all of its alleged flaws (no dead bodies, gunners sitting behind machineguns, ugly smoke, etc.), captured my imagination in a way that few wargames ever have.

I have also seen numerous posts where people suggest simulating the fear that allied troops had of MG42's and German heavy armor. My thought on all of that is that I am the one who is ordering my troops around, and I have a healthy respect (bordering on fear) of these weapons. I am reluctant to drive my troops into positions defended by the dreaded MG42, and I hate the thought of sending my poor Sherman tanks against Tigers, Panthers, and King Tigers. When I get my copy of the released game, I'll probably learn to dread allied air attacks and artilery bombardments when I play the Germans.

So, let go of your modern day thoughts and your modern day lives, and for a moment become immersed in the battles of the European Theater of Operations as presented in Combat Mission.

Thanks for listening,

-Lurker

Not to jump on a dead horse but - Ya gotta download my SPR sound set Mod! biggrin.gif If immersion is your thing - oh yeah my upcoming Tweaked Tetxures v2.0 is the ticket too wink.gif

------------------

CCJ

aka BLITZ_Force

My Hompage ----> http://www.geocities.com/coolcolj

Double your immersion with my Tweaked Textures and Saving Private Ryan sound set mods for CM!! Check out my music while your there! :P

Guest Big Time Software

Yeah, good post even if Cool Col J did such a shameless self promotion piece smile.gif

I can tell you that when I was playing against Fionn in the Paris map I sat on the edge of my chair more than once. There was one CRITICAL move I made (Fionn, you know the one smile.gif) where the tension was so bad I *almost* fast forwarded just to see if my Sherman or his Panther was still alive. I didn't fast forward, and instead sat on the edge of chair and felt my heart race! So even a jaded guy like me is still drawn into the game completely!

Steve

P.S. Result -> my Sherman lived biggrin.gif

P.P.S. Fionn, that crew was Green and they killed two of your Panthers and a half dozen of your infantry. Kinda rubs salt in the wounds, eh? tongue.gif

[This message has been edited by Big Time Software (edited 02-11-2000).]

Steve said:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>P.S. Result -> my Sherman lived biggrin.gif

P.P.S. Fionn, that crew was Green and they killed two of your Panthers and a half dozen of your infantry. Kinda rubs salt in the wounds, eh? tongue.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And this coming from the guy who just said he wasn't trying to "rub our noses" in how much cooler CM is now than "yesterday's" demo.......

I'm immensely relieved smile.gif Steve's previous post had me half-way wondering whether he really had enough of the Dark Side with him to be working on wargames I'd want to play. That post gave me visions panzergrenadiers picking daiseys with Barney the Dinosaur. eek.gif

OF COURSE he was rubbing our noses in it! Thank all the Dark Gods for that, too biggrin.gif

------------------

-Bullethead

jtweller@delphi.com

WW2 AFV Photos: people.delphi.com/jtweller/tanks/tanks.htm

[This message has been edited by Bullethead (edited 02-11-2000).]

Guest Big Time Software

Sad thing is that you guys have most likely played CM more than I have, yet I have had it in front of me for over 2 years frown.gif The game against Fionn, completed about 2 weeks ago, was my *first* CM multiplayer game ever.

Then last week I handed Martin his ass in a tough battle for him to win. It was the kind of battle where he needed great luck, no mistakes, and for me to screw up something badly. Luck was in my favor, he made a few mistakes, and I didn't screw up anything that I wasn't able to put right wink.gif

Oh, sorry... was that my Dark Side coming out? smile.gif Don't worry, the testers rub the fact that they play all the time in my face in our private email list.

Steve

Warning... This message will be censored to protect Colin and other young members of the board wink.gif.

BLEEPing green BLEEP tank crews why the BLEEP did they get so BLEEPing lucky? I mean my BLEEPing Panther's were just sitting the BLEEP less than two BLEEPing hundred metres from them and they just BLEEPing sat there watching the BLEEPing grass BLEEPing grow.

And don't get my started on my BLEEPing PanzerBLEEPingschreck. I'd tie him up by the BLEEPs if he ever BLEEPing BLEEPed up the BLEEP like that again.

There, I think I took that rather well wink.gif.

BLEEPING VENGEANCE WILL BE MINE ! wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fionn:

BLEEPing green BLEEP tank crews why the BLEEP did they get so BLEEPing lucky? I mean my BLEEPing Panther's were just sitting the BLEEP less than two BLEEPing hundred metres from them and they just BLEEPing sat there watching the BLEEPing grass BLEEPing grow.

And don't get my started on my BLEEPing PanzerBLEEPingschreck. I'd tie him up by the BLEEPs if he ever BLEEPing BLEEPed up the BLEEP like that again.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Let's see, you lost two Panthers that sat around and acted like they had their thumbs up their BLEEP's while a green M4 tank crew moves up and bags both. And from what you've added, a 'schreck crew that seemed to act like as if doped up.

HHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

Ya don't suppose that Steve had a "back door" into the program code to do some "tweaking" while playing this game? It sounds like Steve had the luck of the Irish instead here.

OK, Steve, just teasing. wink.gif

Or am I? biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Spook (edited 02-12-2000).]

Three BLEEPING Panthers killed by BLEEPING Sherman BLEEPING 75s who got two the BLEEP FRONT BLEEPING lowere BLEEPing HullBLEEP hits and pen-BLEEP-etrations including one BLEEPER in a Sherman 75 with a BLEEPING GREEN crew. Bunch of BLEEPERS who shot the BLEEP out of two of my BLEEPING Panthers with BLEEPING front lower hull hits at 100 metres if I the BLEEPing recall correctly wink.gif

Seriously you NEVER want to play Charles.. I saw him TRANSPORT a tank and a platoon of infantry about 1.5 KM across a map once wink.gif. Still, I think Steve did it all fair and square just for the record... I'm going to have to get a rematch and really, really concentrate though.