View 1 (of 8) and LOV etc

Why isn't view 1 (tabbed) LOV? The main thing that is giving me grief with this demo is targetting. I appear (with view 1) to have a clear LOV but when I draw the line it isn't. Ghost trees and things are in the way (yes I have trees at max).

Also why can't spotters actually lie down and spot (or hide behind a tree etc) instead of presenting themselves as sit up cut outs?

Whole point of war is to see and not be seen and I am finding this very hard. Hopefully, I've got some major learning difficulties that someone will put me right on, before I give up and return to Warbirds.

Other thing is when is the multiplayer version coming out where we can each control a squad, tank, etc or just be a grunt like WW2Online claims it will be?

I have no doubt that most of these points are in there somewhere...just that I haven't found em yet.

pitz

Guest Zulu1

Pitz, until we all own Cray computers, all games have some sort of abstraction.

When you see a single tree that is designated "light woods" it is an abstraction of some trees, bushes, high grass etc. So a FO would in fact be somewhat hidden even though they are depicted kneeling. It they were lying down, they couldn't see squat. This is the same as the 3 man squads depiction. This is infact a team of 10 - 12 men. A 1 room building is in fact a multi room structure in which the fighting can take place.

The real test is if the code behind the graphics accurately depicts what is happening in terms of firepower, weapons accuracy and luck. Even a shell fired from 100m may miss or not penetrate of fail to explode.

And IMHO, CM does this very well, way better than anything previously on the market.

Bottom line is is it good, is it engrossing, is it fun? Yes to all above. smile.gif

In regards to multi multiplayer, CM has no plans for that I believe. I agree, having 4 or 6 per game would be cool, but 2 players is going to be the max.

Fionn is setting up a mega battle where you will be part of an overall campaign. You can try that.

Pitz

As Zulu1 noted, it's an abstraction. I think you will find that a FO in the woods/trees, isn't seen for quite a while even as they are depicted kneeling. Unless they move they may not be picked up at all. Many is the time I have rained down arty on a target that I had LOS but they had no clue where I was. Maybe try a hot seat w/ yourself to check out the relative LOS of each side. You maybe surprised how little (or how much depending on how you handle your troops) can be seen.

Remember the terrain, woods, brush, light woods, will all have different effects on LOS depending on density. Do not think you are necessarily unseen because you are in "woods" Being near the edge is quite different than being further in. Experience helps you gage where to stop. The "sneak" command is invaluable to get LOS as you approach the edge. But take care. If you can see them, there is at least a chance they see you. So movement, stealth, approach all have to be utilized.

Good luck and don't give up on it. We all are learning how much accurate depth is in this game, yet it is vastly playable

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Originally posted by Zulu1 Fionn is setting up a mega battle....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Go to CMHQ mega campaign at http://cmhq.tzo.com/cmmc/cmmcnews.asp

[This message has been edited by jdmorse (edited 07-03-2000).]

Ok I take the points.

Specifically, there are two spotters on Hill 216 in the valley demo. I have tried about a dozen different places to 'hide'them yet time and time again they get shot to pieces and run first 60 secs yet people talk of then directing fire from here.

Could anyone tell me if there is a hiding place with FOV on 216?

Thanks,

pitz

What is you FOW setting in VoT?

From my experience, if you put your FO in anything other than open terrain on hill 216, and you keep them still, they are very hard to spot (it has never happened to me, much less in turn one). I am assuming here that you have not let the German's approach the hill.

Double HUGE mistake. Unless you are playing out an excercise, leave the FOW on Full. It's the only way to go and really makes CM so much better.

OBTW, playing against a live body, they sometimes target the "usual places" just in case. So adjusting their siting in setup can save them as well

[This message has been edited by jdmorse (edited 07-03-2000).]