Silhouette: 118 - What's Das?

Noticed in the unit descriptions in one of the (GREAT!!) Heavy Metal shots that the Panthers have a "Silhouette: 118" and the Jumbo a "Silhouette: 105". What does this indicate: size? Square meters?

Drool shots BTW Matt & Fionn and I love the new textures! You can smell the love that's gone into it - well sort of smile.gif

Check the suicidal acts thread for a big mail from me rambling between silhouette effects and the effects of application of numbers to achieve decisive local fire superiority.

Basically the silhoeutte is a measure of the "size of target" the tank present when in full view.

It is related to the target cross-section and thus square metres.

Is it not present in the beta demo datasheets? I forget what is and isn't present in the beta demo sometimes. I utilise silhouette comparisons a lot to gain tactical advantages

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Guest Big Time Software

The angle of the tank modifies the Silhouette. Just like nearly every value you see in that details screen, the number is there to give you some frame of reference to make decisions with. It isn't a be all end all number like in other wargames.

Steve

• 4 months later...
Guest ciril

Does CM simulate the differences in vehicle profiles? For instance when a Sherman turns from frontal to side facing its silhouette

changes less than when an M3 halftrack does the same.

What happens to the silhouette value when the vehicle is hull down?

Ciril

Ciril,

"Does CM simulate the differences in vehicle profiles?"

Yes.

"For instance when a Sherman turns from frontal to side facing its silhouette

changes less than when an M3 halftrack does the same."

Yes, that is modelled. It takes some time to grasp, but when they say "true 3D", they mean TRUE 3D!

"What happens to the silhouette value when the vehicle is hull down?"

The silhouette value is unchanged, you just can't see as much of it as before. smile.gif (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Shots are modelled in 3D as well, so a shot that hit the lower front armour in a non-hull-down tank would hit a wall instead, if there was one. A shot that hit the turret in the same non-hull-down tank would still hit the turret.

Sten

Guest ciril

Thanks for the reply, Sten. A few more questions (to whomever), just to make things clear.

>Ciril,

>"Does CM simulate the differences in >vehicle profiles?"

>Yes.

>

>"For instance when a Sherman turns from >frontal to side facing its silhouette

>changes less than when an M3 halftrack does >the same."

>

>Yes, that is modelled. It takes some time >to grasp, but when they say "true 3D", they >mean TRUE 3D!

I see, so vehicles are not simulated as "shoe boxes" (turrets being lids) but the slopes and bends visible in 3D are really there? You see, "true 3D" sounds like a bad TV commercial to me ;)

>Shots are modelled in 3D as well, so a shot >that hit the lower front armour in a non->hull-down tank would hit a wall instead, if >there was one. A shot that hit the turret >in the same non-hull-down tank would still >hit the turret.

Yeah, shots that miss the target hit whatever is in their path first. Will the enemy gunner aim for the turret instead of the hull?

Ciril