CM2, 3, and 4, oh my!

Just finished reading an AAR from Charles himself regarding the making of CM1. An absolute must read and thanks to Havermeyer for pointing it out to me. Here's the last paragraph from the following link:

http://www.zdnet.com/gamespot/features/pc/postgame_wrapup/index.html

"Plan ahead. Gamers always want to know what we're working on next, so I'll tell you. Combat Mission 2 will take us to the Russian front, from 1941 to 1945. Combat Mission 3 will focus on battles in North Africa and the Mediterranean, and Combat Mission 4 take place during the Blitzkrieg years of the early war, from 1939 to 1940. We may go beyond that, but we have no firm plans yet."

------------------

Jeff Abbott

Guest Michael emrys

So they've decided to separate the Mediterranean war from the early war. Makes sense. I kind of wish that we would get the early war first though. Seems like we are going to replay the war in reverse. I'm afraid that by the time we get to the Blitzkrieg years, the players are going to find the performance of the relatively puny weapons of that era disappointing.

Michael

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael emrys:

So they've decided to separate the Mediterranean war from the early war. Makes sense. I kind of wish that we would get the early war first though. Seems like we are going to replay the war in reverse. I'm afraid that by the time we get to the Blitzkrieg years, the players are going to find the performance of the relatively puny weapons of that era disappointing.

On the other hand, they'll finally get to run over the "crunchies". biggrin.gif

Michael<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael emrys:

I'm afraid that by the time we get to the Blitzkrieg years, the players are going to find the performance of the relatively puny weapons of that era disappointing.

Michael<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not all the weapons were puny. The British 2pdr was good for most German tanks in 1940. The French tanks could also give a run for their money. The only really challenged side (of the major combatants) was the Germans, with the 37mm door knocker, and the short 75mm, and you've always got the 88mm Flak. It's fun playing early war (or it is on board games). Anti tank rifles are almost dangerous (except the British Boys ATR!)

Oh yes, nearly forgot - the British 88mm (AKA the 25pdr) could be quite effective against tanks early war!

------------------

The conception of such a plan was impossible for a man of Montgomery's innate caution...In fact, Montgomery's decision to mount the operation ...[Market Garden] was as startling as it would have been for an elderly and saintly Bishop suddenly to decide to take up safe breaking and begin on the Bank of England. (R.W.Thompson, Montgomery the Field Marshall)

[This message has been edited by Sailor Malan (edited 08-13-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Sailor Malan (edited 08-13-2000).]

I know what you're saying about all the weapons not being puny. I'd love to do some blitzkrieg with the earlier tank models. The panther is nice...but I think it would be a more challenging game if you had only a pz-38t to go with.

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by argie:

Impossible. They don't know how simulate Marines accurately wink.gif

Ariel<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, one thing they could do is simplify the sound files down to "oorah!" biggrin.gif

Michael

I think the Korean War would also benefit greatly from the CM engine. I have yet to play a Korean War game (historically accurate) that has captured my interest. I think BTS could do an outstanding job with that war. The weapons are upgraded late-war WW2 weapons and, after CM2 is made, should mostly be available already. I know there are Korean War weaps not available in WW2, but a large number were.

------------------

Jeff Abbott