"I Need Veterans Out There!"

Gila -

I used to believe that more is better myself. However, I played a few games with veteran, crack and elite troops, and I now am firmly in the camp of Quality over Quantity. See my thread about crack troops from last weekend. Several other players, such as Andreas (alias Germanboy) whose skill certainly exceeds mine, are also believers in this idea.

There probably is a good solution somewhere in the idea of mixing veteran and regular troops as well, but I haven't played enough to figure out where that mix lies.

------------------

CrapGame

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CrapGame:

Several other players, such as Andreas (alias Germanboy) whose skill certainly exceeds mine, are also believers in this idea.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who says that? As I did after my return from France, I would like to strongly debunk the myth that I actually have a clue. The fact that I win against Joe Squaw is no proof to the contrary.

And yes, I believe veteran troops are better, but it can also be good to mix and match a bit. Think about what you need them for first. One platoon in the line that will most likely be chewed up by the initial attack, prep bombardment, tanks from afar. Maybe regular is okay. Reserve and counterattack, go for higher quality. Have not run any tests on this theory though. HMG support teams should be higher quality, otherwise they break too easily when they come under fire and have to relocate.

------------------

Andreas

I think it depends both on your playingstyle and the tactical situation.

1. A vet platoon deployed right can be almost impossible to beat. But if you make a mistake with them they die just as easily as a regular. So the way I see it if you take reg platoons you can do more mistakes (I do a lot) and still come out as the winner, unless of course your opponent uses his vets to their full potential.

2 . Another thing to consider is when you are on the defence. If you take 2 platoons of vets you can only defend in two places (unless you want to have units out of command), but if you take a company of regulars you can be in four places instead of two(using the company hq and one or two MGs). So I think regulars are a little more flexible than vets.

I'd go for a full company whenever possible, preferably at least one veteran company.

Companies are SO worth it for the 5% point cost reduction over a platoon and for the Company HQ. It almost works out that the reduced points of buying units in a company PAYS for the Company HQ.

It is also cool buying a company and getting the support units at a 10% cost reduction.

I also like to mix the forces - one vet company with one regular company as backup. The vets do the heavy lifting and the regular troops are reserves.

Jason