Fratricide?

I made a completely brilliant friendly fire snafu. In LD I had the first stone building next to the road targeted for area fire, trying to rubble it. I had a platoon at the wall shooting at the squad and zook team inside. I sent two squads up to rush the building and FORGOT to stop targeting the building with my Tiger. The zook team bit the dust when I rushed the building and the squad ran away. Next turn I have two squads in the building and the Tiger is still taking area fire shots and.... RUBBLE. One squad gone and the other runnin home at half strength. Very nasty. I felt bad all day. Not exactly the same thing you are asking about, but I was horrified watching the whole thing. Tiger just laying up shot after shot at the building with its own guys in there. AI didn't care. lotsa dead men. eurgh.

Peng out

Guest John Maragoudakis

During half life, it is so easy to kill your own guys. First off, even if you know who it is that has stepped in front of you, there is a danger that he might kill you by mistake. I was going through this cave tunnel with 4 guys and the enemy appeared at the other side. I saw the enemy and pointed my gun...damnit, two of my team mates were running around in front of me. I was getting shot at but if I shot back, I risked killing my own guys. This was with the counterstrike realistic mod. Guy were dieing around me. Was there any friendly fire? Who knows.

The danger of friendly fire seems greater at closer ranges where you are bunched up and you are suddenly surprised. There's jostling for positions and people cross each other's line of sight.