Unit density and casualties

A search didn't turn up any information about this, so i thought I would ask:

Does CM have any provision for the effect of target density on casualties or hit chances?

Specifically, I am thinking of the situation where someone has a number of squads bunched up together. I will assume that this makes the target a much better one for artillery and mortars. What about machine guns? Do machine guns do more damage firing against concentrated targets than sparse ones?

Does it matter if one fires at a particular target, lets the TacAI decide, or chooses area fire? I wonder if there is anything in the game that discourages bunching units other than the sporadic presence of artillery?

Well, the short answer is: shots that miss the target don't just vanish into thin air. In other words, if a burst from a machine gun misses its target, and there's another squad beside or behind the target, there is a chance that the burst will hit that target.

Cheers,

Walter R. Strapps (who knocked out a Sherman in VoT with a potatoe masher meant for an infantry squad smile.gif)

The previously hidden US 50mm AT gun fires at my Panthers front armor.

"Upper hull hit. Shell breaks up."

Three or four pieces of the shell ricochets in diffrent directions. Whew!

But, hang on. Where's that scream coming from?

Hit the back button. Replay. Let the camera follow the HQ that was running 20m away from the tank, not in the line of fire or anything. If I look really, really careful I can actually see the ricochet hit. And it manages to knock out two of the four guys in the HQ.

Does that answer your question?

Or how about this:

I once played a friend of mine who is a very good ASL player. Any ASL player worth his mettle knows the value of recon by fire. So, without having spotted ANY of my troops, he opened up with two .30 cals on a light two-storey building. He kept at it for two full turns.

I had one platoon and two LMGs in there when he started. After two turns I had lost one LMG and a total of eight men, two of them placed in the back of the building.

When I asked him later why he fired on that building he said:

- Well I was never going to run out of ammo, considering the length of the scenario and that house wasn't half-bad as a surprise strong point. I was right, right?

I wish I could send you a picture of the grin on his face.

Does that answer your question?

Sten

Guest Big Time Software

Tar,

A single attack can also damage more than one target at a time. Drop a shell into a packed bunch of squads and they may all take casualties from it.

Charles

On VoT I made a flanking maneuver with a full platoon on the left. Just when they reached the woods near the wall the 150mm sIG openend fire! That was a slaughter, and boy, were those 7 survivors from the original 40 men happy to see the 81mm mortar barrage go down on the gun ...

murx

Murx,

I feel your pain. Last night I was going up against the Germans (Germans at 150%) and I thought I had adequately reconned that area with a split squad. So I brought out the rest of my platoon to scurry down to the cover of the wall. Suddenly, three 150's clustered in the woods on the southern edge opened up on my not-too-happy-campers. One split squad was instantaneously vaporized. Next turn I was able to get most of my boys back behind the cover of a hill, but that was one rude welcoming committee!

------------------

"Sometimes you eat the bar and sometimes the bar eats you. Take it easy, Dude." -- The Stranger

The Dude abides.