Needs Advice: 3d Card Upgrade

I am running CM on a PII 450 w/128 megs of RAM. Right now it has a 8 meg Monster 2/ voodoo 2 chipset and I am looking to upgrade it.

Heres the problem. My friend gave me a Voodoo 3 AGP card but when I opened up my cover I discovered I have intergrated video without any AGP slots.

Not being well versed in comp. things my questions are these;

Are there any good accelerator cards for the PCI slots that will give me a huge jump in performance? Are they as good as AGP? Is there a way to 'put'a AGP slot on my motherboard?

Thanks in advance,

VS

Guest Thomas William Davie

Von Shrad; here's what you might do if you're comfortable with the insides of your computer.

a) If you have the motherboard manual, disable the onboard video by removing jumpers for the video. Pop in a good PCI card. For not too much $, the Voodoo 3 3500 is decent or the Voodoo 3 3000

B) if you DON'T have the motherboard manual. download a copy of SiSoft's Sandra (a system analysis tool). You can identify motherboard jumpers from this program. Again, disable and pop in a PCI card.

Also, it might help to know if your system is PCI 2.1

Email me if you need more specific advice.

Tom

------------------

email address:

thodavie@videon.wave.ca

Since you have a PII-450, your motherboard is atleast PCI 2.1 compliant. All chipsets since the Intel 430VX are PCI 2.1 or higher.

I don't think there's a PCI variant of the V3-3500. But the V3-3000 can easily be found in PCI.

There's supposedly a TNT2 (regular, not ultra) that comes in PCI made by Asus, but I have no idea where you might find one. :-(

http://www.asus.com.tw/Products/Addon/Vga/pci-v3800/index.html

Good luck.

- Chris