Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Book recommendation sought - German Leadership

Guest Germanboy

Guest Germanboy

A friend of mine is a lecturer in Organisational Behaviour (not at Warwick), and we have talked quite a bit recently about the difference in UK and German leadership on all levels in WW II (mostly off the top of my hat, in my case). He has asked me for a book recommendation for a post-war book analysing the German system of leadership and its effects, on all levels, from OKW to squad leadership. Training, education, history, social system all sorts of stuff for the background. Preferably written by a German.

He is very interested in comparative studies between the UK and Germany, and I guess he thinks there is a wider issue here.

NB: It would be nice if references to brewing a cup of tea, Monty in general or discussions of the morality of German behaviour could find another thread.

I know there have been discussions around this before, but I am quite sure not to have seen references to such a book in them. Or may memory is failing me again, badly...

Thanks in advance for the help, it is much appreciated.

------------------

Andreas

Well Germanboy,

I'm not sure how much help this is, but if *I* were looking for an inroads into this topic I'd start browsing through some of John Keegan's work. I'm not aware of any title of his that deals exclusively with this, but I know I have seen him include the subject in a number of his books - Face of Battle, Six Armies in Normandy to name a couple.

OGSF

Guest grunto

"Men of Steel (I SS Panzer Corps)," by Michael Reynolds might have some snippets of interest to you. The discussion of Normandy points out several of the differences between the sides.

Why does anyone care about the UK?

Andy

Guest grunto

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by grunto:

Why does anyone care about the UK?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

oops... there was a little =grin= at the end of that...

andy

I second the recommendation to look at Keegan's "Six Armies in Normandy." I don't think he sets out to make comparisons directly but he does make some commentary on Monty's operations around Caen, Falaise and the German ability to regroup.

Reynold's book (Steel Inferno)is also worth getting. He makes some comments about the German leadership styles, particularly Kurt Meyer's habit of riding around by himself on a motorcycle.

I don't think there is a book that sets out to compare leadership at all levels in the UK forces versus the Germans. There is a book called " A Genius for War" about the German General Staff system. I have never read it so I can't say if it offers comparisons with other armies or not.

Guest Captitalistdoginchina

Hi GB,

I would highly recommend a book called "The forgotten Soldier" by Guy Sajer.

Although this book is not specifically about comparisons of leadership it is a true story of the experiences of a young Half German/Frenchman who served in the Gross Deutchland division on the eastern front. A must read.

It ranks as the most compelling and interesting book i have read about WW2.

The book is available in the UK from Cassell Military Classics (paperback) - and is in WH Smith high street stores.

Trust me, you will love the book - never mind wether your friend finds it useful!!

------------------

"Death solves all problems - no man no problem"

J.V.Stalin, 1918

Guest Germanboy

Thanks for all the replies - I guess for what he is looking for, Keegan sounds best. Also the one we have in the library.

------------------

Andreas

You should concentrate less on anecdotal accounts of battle and more on the training doctrine of both countries. German small unit tleadership training was focused much more on empowering the lowest level leaders with the ability to act for themselves within the framework of the commanders intent than in other countries. For example it was inculcated within them that it was better to do SOMETHING now than the perfect thing later.

I.E In prewar tactical lectures for young leutnants and sub-alterns. In the English/US/ and other teaching methodolgy a tactical situation would be presented to the class laying out the situation, mission and other varuables. Students would be expected to apply what they learned to solve them. Normally several would be picked out of the class to study the problem for "homework" and present a solution the next day which they would possibly be expected to carry out with the rest of the class. Non book solutions or poorperformance would of course be harshly criticized.

In the German teaching methodolgy, a tactical situation would be presented to the class, laying out the situation, mission , commanders intent, and other variables. Students would be expected to apply what they learned to solve them. Normally one or several would be picked out of the class to study the problem and come with with a solution in FIVE MINUTES which would then be carried out on the spot by the class. While students would be as harshly ripped apart by their instructors for doing something stupid they would never be criticized for showing initative or elan. Not to mention you could give your students more training scenarios to work through in the latter method.

It's a training philosophy that showed it superiority once the war started. However as casualties really ebgan to tell and the allies began gathering experience qnd adpopting some of the more sensible methods of their opponents, things began to even out somewhat.

Cheers...

Los

There is quite a bit of the kind of information you are looking for in "When the Odds Were Even". Apparently there has been some discussion of this book here before, but I am finding it quite interesting.

There is very little anecdotal information, and a lot of concentration on German training, doctrine, and command structure.