every time I play I see something new

tonight I had a Jumbo 76 targeting a Stug III from about 250m. About 500m away was a Panther A, just out of sight of my Jumbo. I had a 60mm mortar in the woods that could see the Panther, but he was targeting a HMG42 unit instead, knowing that his pitiful ordnance was wasted on a Panther.

Anyway, as the turn unfolds, the Panther rolls forward until he has LOS on my Jumbo. My Jumbo is locked onto the Stug and he doesn't break lock. My mortar team is dropping shells on the HMG as fast as he can. The Panther starts firing into my Jumbo and fortunately for me he missed... three times. When my Jumbo finally kills the Stug, he turns on the Panther, hits it, and...the shell breaks up. Damn, frontal armor, gonna be a tough kill. Then I see smoke surrounding the Panther. WTF? Surely I didn't scare him into popping smoke (I don't remember if they have smoke or not). So I replay it and what happened was my mortar team stopped shelling the HMG unit long enough to unload all 4 smoke shells in front of the Panther. Smoke blocks the view of the Panther. My Jumbo lives.

Now I know my cyber soldiers are hell bent on self-preservation, but the fact that he was looking out for his tank buddy was in-freaking-credible. My mortar teamed saved his ass. Outstanding!

------------------

Jeff Abbott

Not wanting to spoil your fun, but..

If the panther also had LOS to the mortar, they would

have blocked it for selfish reasons.

------------------

Now, would this brilliant plan involve us climbing out of

our trenches and walking slowly towards the enemy sir?

Same thing happened to me yesterday... and you could clearly see that the mortar was aiming between my tank and the enemys tank, ie not thinking self preservation but preservation of his buddy in the tank (wich was blown up just before the smoke appeared, but thats beside the point)

gives you a warm fuzzy feeling doesnt it? biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jarmo:

Not wanting to spoil your fun, but..

If the panther also had LOS to the mortar, they would

have blocked it for selfish reasons.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah, can't spoil my fun smile.gif. I checked for LOS to make sure it wasn't self-preservation. There were no yellow lines ending on my mortar team, meaning no one had seen it. So he was protecting his buddy. It's a dangerous place these battlefields, good to know they can cover each other's backs smile.gif

------------------

Jeff Abbott