Possible Cm1.1b22: Use of Shaped Charged rounds

That should read possible CM1.1b22 bug... I'm playing an e-mail with Cubes where my Churchill (95mm) got into a shooting dual with a Hetzer. To make a long story short, I hit that thing three shots in a row with HE without expending a single shaped charged round. I presume the first round took the commanders' upper torso off, because the Hetzer just sat there allowing me to put two more HE rounds into it. The Churchill does have shaped charge ammo available but isn't using it.

------------------

Pair-O-Dice

"Once a Diceman, Always a Diceman."

[This message has been edited by Diceman (edited 12-17-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Diceman:

I'm playing an e-mail with Cubes where my Churchill (95mm) got into a shooting dual with a Hetzer. To make a long story short, I hit that thing three shots in a row without expending a single shaped charged round, and yes I do have some.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is interesting that you are having problems. I have used the Churchill VIII with the 95mm and found that it is an excellent Tiger and Panther killer when it has the shaped charge. It seems like the crew needs to be at least Veteran to use the shells consistently. This is just my observation and could be incorrect. I have also found that when the Churchill got really close to the Panther, ~150m, it was less likely to use the shaped charge round. I guess that it thinks it can kill the Panther with the HE rounds. I have not seen one fighting Hetzers.

I would like to add that these results were with the first beta demo. I haven't tried them with the newest beta demo.

Theron

[This message has been edited by Theron (edited 12-17-2000).]

Hey, at least you guys are firing things that explode. My Sherman 105s fire nothing but smoke at Hetzers, regardless of how close they are. I'm sure they'd fire paint if they had that too.

------------------

"The whole of Scotland will rejoice if the commanding officer of the Canadian Army could see fit that the taking of Saint-Valery is accomplished by the Highland Division. I am sure that the 2nd Canadian Division will attend to Dieppe satisfactorily."

-- General Sir Bernard Law Montgomery, Aug. 20, 1944

Guest AussieJeff

G'day Forever,

Maybe like me you would like to see BTS incorporate a FIRING SQUAD option in the next patch to smarten up these dumb-assed, insubordinate, cowardly shirkers that REFUSE to obey targeting orders!!! heh wink.gif

I had to laugh the other night when I ordered a Churchill VIII to take out a side on Panther that was no more than 100m away - it was a near 100% certain kill. But alas, the crew of a knocked out halftrack some 50m away to the right decides to make a run for it - you guessed it - good 'ol Churchill

rotates turret side on to Panther in order to blast the lameduck crew, then WHAM!! - no more Churchill!!! sob......sob......actually it was more like Son Of a Bitch!!! - where's that goddamn Firing Squad Option! lol

No doubt you are experiencing similar events? smile.gif hehe

AussieJeff

Guest Madmatt

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Forever Babra:

Hey, at least you guys are firing things that explode. My Sherman 105s fire nothing but smoke at Hetzers, regardless of how close they are. I'm sure they'd fire paint if they had that too.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And they won't either from the front. That 60mm of 60 degree sloped armor is too much for the 105's to penetrate. I just did a test with 6 105 Shermans vs. 6 Heters and the key for the Shermans is to use their manueverabilty and fast turrets to get to the side of the Hetzers. Then they will pound the Hetzers into the grave.

But from the front, those Hetzers are lethal. YOu just have to get a good angle on them, it's not easy, but the only thing easy to do in war is dying.

Use the smoke to your advantage to close the range where the limited traverse of the Hetzers gun is a detriment, get around to their flanks and while they are trying to pivot their hulls to get a shot, take um out. It will work. smile.gif

Madmatt

As I've posted earlier:

My Priests won't shoot HC at all in the 1.1b16, so this problem seem to remain frown.gif (havn't downloaded the latest patch yet).

Earlier (in version 1.05) my Priests had no problem whacking Hetzers frontally with first shot kills of HC rounds. Twice in the same battle, the Crack Hetzers rather looked cracked ...

Cheers

Olle

It's too early for me to tell in a current PBEM game, but I have an on-board 150mm artillery using direct fire on a Sherman. It has one C round and has not used it yet. However, one HE round hit the Sherman on the hull to no effect. I was surprised to see the Sherman shrug it off so easily. No stun, no shock and from the Sherman's ROF, no crew casualties. Does anyone know if CM correctly models large caliber HE hits on vehicles? It should be more than just a measure penetration. The concussion from a large HE round should be enough to stun and/or kill the crew, let alone the possibility of knocking the turret off.

------------------

It is easy to be brave from a safe distance. -Aesop

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Theron:

It is interesting that you are having problems. It seems like the crew needs to be at least Veteran to use the shells consistently. I have also found that when the Churchill got really close to the Panther, ~150m, it was less likely to use the shaped charge round

Theron

(edited 12-17-2000).]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The crew is veteran, and you may have a point with the <150m theory. A couple of turns later it took out a different Hetzer @ 158 meters, just a bit farther away than the one it only fired HE at.

------------------

Pair-O-Dice

"Once a Diceman, Always a Diceman."